3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flow master, black cherry glass packs ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flow master, black cherry glass packs ??

I could write a how to on what not to do when going to a true dual ex conversion. With my new efforts in play, I decided I want a glass pack mufflers, Flow master black cherry glass packs caught my eye on ebay because thier cheap in price!!!.

Im going to need all new pipes from the cat back, booth pipes have rotted out where the muffler guy welded bracing to the pipe to support to the frame.

No y pipe..2 mufflers that are on now, (name I forgot) are in good shape, but I never liked thier sound, mangaflow and dynomax have been on this truck, now Im revisting this abortion for a 4rth time..

I never like how the rear tail pipes were fabbed up as thier not mandrel bent.

My atempts to find a muffler shop here in calgary Alberta to do custom ex work is painful, as no shop is really interested in Custom fab work.

The two shops that have worked on my truck are out of the loop on this go effort.

With glass packs, is it better to run a longer muffler length wise or go with a shorter muffler in length?

The best free flowing ex I can build will take pressiadent over sound, but Im leaning to a longer muffler for the extra muffler capacity, even on a glass pack!!

Now my truck has been retired into more of a hobby as oposed to a daily driver or work truck, on ocassion I will use it to tow so I will need a non restrictive ex system..

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...finding a shop that does mandrel bending is hard, I think the machines cost like 10 times as much as crush bend.

I have heard a few true dual trucks on u tube with glasspacks.....they don't sound too bad at all. Good luck in your quest.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

In hind sight, I should have had a pipe clamp on the pipe, and than have a rod welded to the the pipe clamp instead of the actual pipe.

Glass packs do burn out over time, this I know, but dam near every after market muffler I have tried is fried in two to years any ways..

A longer glass pack reduces noise, shorter glass pack is louder, not sure if this is true, just what I have been told.

I could buy the tail pipes with mandrell bends out of a cat back kit..

If any one can shoot me some info on Montana, Idaho, or Washington State muffler shops, I prepared for a road trip..

Thanks..

Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
07Chuck
Rookie

Shorter the glasspack the louder its going to be, I can tell ya that from my trial and error

Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

flowmonster their not flow master mifflers.....

Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Up date.. going with two cherry bomb glass packs 87516, 2.5 in, orderd from summit racing for 125.00 US. with delivery, Quote from muffler shops in Calgary were running arround 150.00 per glass pack mufflers..and than up for your run of the mill dynomax crap....Crazy...

Going to loud, proud and bold!!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

Thats a pretty big glass pack at 26" body lenght. I bet it will sound pretty good. Remember to post some pics when finished!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jdpartsman
Thats a pretty big glass pack at 26" body lenght. I bet it will sound pretty good. Remember to post some pics when finished!
Im running two glass packs!!! 4 in wide case, going to try and get the glass packs mounted behind the cab (reg cab) so most of the noise is under the rear box.

I need all pipes from the cats back, converison I had done was 2.25 pipes ( I thought it was 2.5) as I orderd 2.5 in mufflers I need two 2.5 pipes.

Only issue is going to be running the two 2.5 in pipes over the rear diff and stright out the rear left..

I dont want bent and crushed tail pipes so this is going to be a interesting venture configuring pipes over the rear diff, No mufflers shops in Calgary alberta have mandrell benders and ordering up a prefab kit costs more to ship into calgary than the intial price of the kit..

I suspose I can live with some bending to get over the diff as pipes will be stright from the cats threw the glass packs and than stright out..

1000.00 was my first quote for 2 2x 2.5 pipes, 2 dynomax glass packs and two tail pipes from speedy muffler on 17 ave se in Calgary..

Midas was prepared to run 2x 2.5 in pipe amd 2 mangnaflow muffers and run dumps for 550.00, Thier are two shops Im going to check out for quotes..

1/2 the cost of the cherry bombs was shipping..So I got a deal from Summit on the mufflers..35.00 bucks each with a discount code..

Quick Reply: Flow master, black cherry glass packs ??