3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

suggestions on a good paint for bumpers and rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013 | 12:08 PM
DirtyDodge812
|
Professional
Default suggestions on a good paint for bumpers and rims

Since I got my truck I went on a little rampage to get rid of all the chrome and black out as much as possible. I used spray paint on both bumpers and it turned out great for a while. I prepped it real good and did a few coats of black paint then went over it with clear coat. Well after one michigan winter almost all the paint is gone off the front bumper and the back isnt too far behind. I did the lower sides of my truck in duplicolor bed armor so I'm thinking about re-doing the bumpers in the same stuff too. It held up good on the sides even after some nasty off road trips, though they dont see quite as much abuse as the front bumper. Has anybody else used anything to paint bumpers and had good luck? I wanna do the rims black too but I'm not sure If I wanna use the bed liner for those too since I already have it, or just wait until its time for new tires and get them powdercoated. Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:08 PM
CordellWalker

Check out Plastidip man. It comes in a variety of colors, holds up just as good as paint, and can be removed easily.

Old 03-12-2013 | 09:47 PM
DirtyDodge812
|
Professional

I did some reading on plastidip and though about trying it but it doesnt seem quite as rigid as the bedliner. I dont want it peeling off front a small tree branch or something like that. I dont mind a scratch here and there but the plastidip just seems too flimsy from what I'v seen.

Old 03-13-2013 | 12:08 AM
CordellWalker

Ahh yeah man I get that. It does cake on pretty good though after a few days. My buddy dipped his jeep a year ago and has taken it to a number of poorly maintained boat ramps around the state without a problem. But your concern is pretty understandable.

Old 03-13-2013 | 12:37 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

i monstalined, just go back to that bedarmor for the same texture tho. linex would be best tho

Old 03-14-2013 | 04:58 PM
DirtyDodge812
|
Professional

What did you use the monstaliner on? Im gonna try the bed armor since I already have it and I want it to match the sides of the truck. The front bumper does see a lot of abuse from trails, mud, etc. so Im gonna put it on real thick. Has anybody tried anything for painting rims?

Old 03-18-2013 | 10:01 AM
cjs4444
All Star

I painted the stock chrome- clad 17's with plastidip...it held up pretty well.

Old 03-18-2013 | 02:51 PM
DirtyDodge812
|
Professional

Ill check out plastidip for the rims, I think my buddy has a few cans somebody left at his house. Your truck looks great in your sig pic, thats kind of the look I'm going for. What fender flares are on your truck?

Old 03-19-2013 | 12:13 AM
cjs4444
All Star

I got them off of ebay. I dont think they are a particular brand. But i got the sprayed with Line-x when i was doing the rest of the stuff. I want to say they were around $130 on eBay.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:03 PM
tneville
Professional

I plasti dipped my bumpers and after one mudding trip the liner came off with the mud, so i decided to sand the bumper with an angle grinder and prep with a little rust stop primer. The roll on bed liner has withstood everything ive thrown at it so far. If your planning to stay on pavement, plasti-dip is a good way to go even on the wheels imo.

Quick Reply: suggestions on a good paint for bumpers and rims