3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trucks back from the shop, 4.56 installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennethtownsend
install and set up is not that difficult. just have to be tedious about it. tools on the other hand they are expensive.
If you're not very experienced with it could you accidentally mess the truck up?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, seems like a tough thing to do for the first time with no experience. If a buddy was willing to go halvsies on the tools and let me do his truck first, I might consider it. Otherwise, hardly seems worth it. No warranty if you mess up your own gears.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
kennethtownsend

Originally Posted by gHEMImorePower
If you're not very experienced with it could you accidentally mess the truck up?
yes you will mess up the rear end that you just put together. but once it is installed and everything is set up backlash etc. there is nothing to worry about. i dont know if it is possible with these trucks as i have only done 44s and 8.8s, but it may be possible to buy them already set up and all you have to do is intall them. not sure though. but all axles are pretty much the same when it comes to setting them up. if you can get someone to help you or ask and see if you can get the local votech to teach you. that is what i did. i took a class at votech and told them i just wanted to learn to set up gears and rebuild transmissions.

Originally Posted by ewing111
yeah, seems like a tough thing to do for the first time with no experience. If a buddy was willing to go halvsies on the tools and let me do his truck first, I might consider it. Otherwise, hardly seems worth it. No warranty if you mess up your own gears.
if you can do basics other than change oil and what not, like i mean if you can rebuild a carb you can set up gears. just saying is all. install is easy like i said, the set up is tedious

Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people here get gear happy but I don't know how necessary they are. I'm running stock 3.55s, but with all the power this truck makes now, there's no need to change them. In fact, it would be worse as I can already spin the tires in 2nd gear doing 40mph+. I also maintain my gas mileage on the highway. So if you plan on doing a bunch of bolt ons, etc. It might not be the wisest decision.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 AM
tneville
Professional

Originally Posted by popdog
A lot of people here get gear happy but I don't know how necessary they are. I'm running stock 3.55s, but with all the power this truck makes now, there's no need to change them. In fact, it would be worse as I can already spin the tires in 2nd gear doing 40mph+. I also maintain my gas mileage on the highway. So if you plan on doing a bunch of bolt ons, etc. It might not be the wisest decision.
Agreed if you dont tow any trailers or stay away from mountains. My mileage went from 17(stock tires, 3.55 ratio) to 11(35in tires, 3.55 ratio) now to 14-15(35in tires, 4.56 ratio)

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
kennethtownsend

Agreed regear to compensate for larger tires, not for gas mileage. i have 3.92 according to my build sheet they are pretty good moving the heavy 20s around. if i go with 37 inch tires and lift i will install 4.56s, should be good overall gear ratio. HEMIs dont play well with constant high RPMs, or i would go 4.88s.

Quick Reply: Trucks back from the shop, 4.56 installed!