3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Modifications to stock air box...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modifications to stock air box...

Voolant cold air intakes for the hemi, I like !!

Than I got to thinking, Why not cut holes in the right side of the stock air box with a hole saw, Run a K/N ect, ect high flow air filter, keep the hemi box to aviod running a heat shield for a aftermarket CAI kit and than run replace the hose running into the TB with a stright pipe and keeping the hemi hat???

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the hemi hat is restrictive, most people want to replace it. But there have definitely been plenty of people who keep the stock box, cut a hole in it and run almost the exact setup that you are describing. I know that hammer has done this for at least a couple people on the forum. Doable and a nice setup in my opinion.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Going by my menmory, It apears that the intake hose from the air box runs right into the TB, under the hemi hat...I don't understand how the hemi hat restricts air flow.... unless it serves as a sound baffel over the TB..

Im sure if I took it off my truck, I will see the restrictions..

AS I price out stright air intake tubes ( Air Raid ) Im finding I can get a complete CAI intake for abought the same price..

I'm staying away from the home depot PVC do it your self thing, ( retapping sensors more pain than play time fun ) and going to find a hemi air box at a wrecker to cut up...

Im positive Im going to have to up the air intake to balance out my new dual ex system thats replacing a true dual set up..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
dratomic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year of truck you have and what motor

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^its in his sig...

I can't really remember for sure, but doesn't the hemi hat hook directly into the TB pretty much? So if you want to keep that you don't need another pipe between the hemi hat an the TB. And yes, it does dampen the sound. Some people have put them back on because they don't think it sounds good without it. Personally I think it sounds sweet.

Also weedahoe can make you a full on cai for a very reasonable price, I can't remember if he taps the hole you need for the IAT or not, but his stuff is definitely real nice. Might be a compromise for you if you don't want to do it yourself but dont want to shell out the $$ for a retail kit. He does plastic welding, and could probably route it so it goes into the stock box (maybe, idk for sure, pm him and find out if you want).

Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hemi hat is a complete separate piece. Your intake hose goes from the air box to the Hemi Hat and then the Hemi Hat connects to the TB. The Hemi is restrictive and muffles sound which is why most get rid of it. If you don't want to hear your truck growl at you at anything above 2500 RPMs then don't remove it. As for the OP the cheapest route would be to get a K&N drop in filter for the air box and then remove the Hemi Hat and intake hose and replace it with a pipe. For less hassle with the AIT sensor I would suggest a MIT airraid jr.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you hve your existing Lifetime Powertrain Warranty still, DO NOT modify your stock airbox. It will void your warranty. If that's not the case, then I'd cut where appropriate!

The stock airbox uses a panel drop in that rests across the top, so sucking water shouldnt be of manjor concern unless your one of those clowns who goes boating with their trucks? I hope not. Anyone who values their rig wouldn't do such a thing anyways. But who am I to judge...

Airraid intake tube, K&N or S&B filter with cut holes is as good or better than spending $350 on a volant! Just doesnt look as sweet is all.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

With true duals ( no y pipe ) and two 26 in long cherry bombs glass packs ( 4 in case) 2 in apart 2.5 x 2, Wow, I have a insane sound and awsome low to mid range power (hemi 6speed) Truck is just louder and snarky mean at idel .

Running threw the gears I don't get the poping glass pack sounds unless Im reving over 3 grand...

Im going to have add a CAI, and a tunner at some point in play therapy, its apparent at highway speeds ( Pedal on the floor) the new ex is moving more air out than the factery air box is taking in, at 60 to 65 mph nothing happens, take your foot off the gas, and than the truck gets going...its by no means slow..!!

At idel the ex is is pushing air at least 4 to 5 feet from the rear bumper, ( booth pipes exit stright out right side rear) thier is no restriction ( aside from factery ex manifolds and pipe)

In canada life time powertrain warenty never exsisted, and im not going to cut holes in the left fender liner, or go were hydro locking is the the death kill...

I might try to add anothier stock intake inlet to to the air box from a doner air box...util I have the funds for a Jr. air raid pipe and square filter..

Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
With true duals ( no y pipe ) and two 26 in long cherry bombs glass packs ( 4 in case) 2 in apart 2.5 x 2, Wow, I have a insane sound and awsome low to mid range power (hemi 6speed) Truck is just louder and snarky mean at idel .

Running threw the gears I don't get the poping glass pack sounds unless Im reving over 3 grand...

Im going to have add a CAI, and a tunner at some point in play therapy, its apparent at highway speeds ( Pedal on the floor) the new ex is moving more air out than the factery air box is taking in, at 60 to 65 mph nothing happens, take your foot off the gas, and than the truck gets going...its by no means slow..!!

At idel the ex is is pushing air at least 4 to 5 feet from the rear bumper, ( booth pipes exit stright out right side rear) thier is no restriction ( aside from factery ex manifolds and pipe)

In canada life time powertrain warenty never exsisted, and im not going to cut holes in the left fender liner, or go were hydro locking is the the death kill...

I might try to add anothier stock intake inlet to to the air box from a doner air box...util I have the funds for a Jr. air raid pipe and square filter..
Uhhhh ok? I don't see how this helps the OP but thanks for sharing lol

Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Chase Lejeune
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Uhhhh ok? I don't see how this helps the OP but thanks for sharing lol
he is the OP...

Quick Reply: Modifications to stock air box...