3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking about buying a used Dodge ram, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Nice exhaust.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMississippi
I understand now that I've been on this forum a couple of days, that Hemi's are the way to go haha...I still don't completely understand why, but I will definitely be looking for a Hemi..thank you!
Generally, the reason for buying a smaller engine is for fuel economy. In the case of 3rd Gen Rams, the Hemi gets as good if not slightly better fuel economy than the 4.7 V8 while yielding 100+ more HP & Torque (assuming we are talking pre-'08 4.7s).

Also, and I can tell you from first hand experience, it's a LOT easier to work on a good old pushrod engine than an overhead cam engine. A prime consideration when looking to buy an older vehicle. For example, I can remove the heads on a pushrod engine in a couple of hours. It took me ten to get them off the 4.7 HO that was in my old Grand Cherokee. I HUGE consideration if you were paying $75 or more an hour for labor.

Now if you can get a killer of a deal on a 4.7 and don't need the power of a Hemi, I really don't see an issue. Many guys on here have 4.7 engines with well over 200,000 miles on them...

Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a testament of the durability of the 4.7, there is a fella on here named Omniexpress that owns a 2007 Ram with the 4.7, he replaced the engine at like 360+k mi because it needed head work.

Just something else to consider.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
JPMississippi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thank you both! I will be looking more for a truck in about 3-4 weeks, then I have noticed that the good ones can go fast, so I will just wait until I find a really good one. Thanks again for all your advice

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 AM
JPMississippi

Hi again,

For the amount of money I can spend (I'd like to stay under $6k), I don't think I'll be able to find a Hemi. This one that I'm going to get checked out is a 2004, 4.7, 4x4. It's the only one in the DC area I've seen in a while that looks like it's in great shape at that price and I'd also like to buy it from the owner, not a used car dealership.

Just wanted to see if you had any more advice for me. Thank you!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set a budget and stay with it..

Dont set your sights on the Ram, Look for the best Truck that fits your budget!!

I own A Ram, Bought my 2500 hemi new in 2006, Im not suspecting your looking for a 2500, So Your safe from my Rants with my joys of ownership.

The hemi buy its self is a great engine, even with 2 plugs per cy, I can live with it, But the Gm vortecks are a cake walk to work on, But I'm not sure if your swapping out spark plugs any time soon.

Any used brand is a shot in the dark as is buying new..

Hemi engines run best on a mim of mid grade flue, and to be blunt, build quality is not that great on the 3rd gen rams..

I have owned Fords and GM trucks as well as my 06 Ram from 99 to 06, For a uesd truck, Im kinda leaning towards GM for the better power train than a Ford or dodge, But I hate GM for thier plastic door handels that conect to metal parts...

And I can Troll any make or model...

Money talks first, so try and find a truck that fits your long term goals and stay away from used car lots, A one owner, Looked after truck, is the ball park you need to be playing in..

Last edited by cyclone429; 11-17-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Just my opinion, and it won't be popular but unless you just absolutely have your heart set on a Ram I'd buy a different truck.

I've got an 07 Hemi QC 4x4. It had 30,000 miles on it when I got it and has 93 + on it now. I've towed trailers, used it off road alot and it has been my daily driver up until early this year.

The truck has been good but chrysler products, in my opinion and experience, simply don't age well. My wife had a Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 and i have this truck. The engines are solid and reliable. That said they both started using oil after 60,000 and you really need to keep your eye on this. The rest of the vehicle just simply starts falling apart. Water pumps, heater core, trans and differential problems. I am obsessive about preventative maintenance and even a rigid regimen cant delay the exaggerated effects of aging on these vehicles.

The interiors will literally start falling apart. The leather seats will start developing major cracks and tears. The plastic parts all over the vehicle will just start cracking, breaking and coming loose. My wife babied her jeep and that thing just fell completely apart. Neither one of us likes car payments but it got to the point where the repairs were just getting ridiculous. Then, the interior just started to detonate. We finally got rid of it and bought a new car.

My truck, the interior is starting to do the same although not as rapidly or as soon as the wifes jeep. Still, its starting to happen.

Fuel economy. People on this forum will tell you things like, "hey, its a big truck! If youre worried about economy buy a Prius." Thats b.s. Simple as that. These trucks get absolutely the WORST fuel economy of any comparable truck. I currently get 13 mpg in town and 13.4 mpg on the highway unloaded. Towing about 5000 pounds I get 8 mpg. I know for a fact an F150 and a Nissan Titan will easily top this.

Take a very hard look at whatever Ram you are interested in. Look at the quality and thickness of the materials used to make the seats, dashboard, center console...etc. Open and close the doors. Open and close the hood. Then take it for a drive and tell the seller to shut up and let you listen to the vehicle. Then, go look at a apples to apples comparison of a different truck. Do the same things with that truck you did with the ram. In all honesty...if you do that...I don't think you'll buy a ram.

Again, this is just my opinion. But hey, thats all the internet is anyways.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a used Dodge ram, need advice