3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking about buying a used Dodge ram, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
JPMississippi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a used Dodge ram, need advice

Hi,

I am hoping to buy a 2003 0r 2004 Dodge Ram Crew Cab soon. I am a single mother and just really like Dodge Rams. I have a Chevy Suburban but it is jut too big for us, even though I enjoy the way it drives.

I will have someone looking at the truck I purchase, with me, and will also be taking it to a mechanic.

Is it a crazy idea, as a single mom, to think about purchasing this truck?

I have loved Dodge Rams for years!

Thank you for any advice, I really appreciate it.
JP

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're crazy but you're not, all at the same time.

You're crazy in that you're thinking of buying one. And it goes the same way in the not crazy.

There will be problems with the truck, however, you will be unable to know what trucks will have problems and what ones won't. It is all going to depend on the previous owner. If you buy a truck that was a one owner, it will likely have less problems.

I would personally look for a 2004-2005 model year as those were the best model years for pretty much all the Ram trucks at the time. You might also consider buying a Hemi in that year range, if you drive them right, they get the same MPG as the 4.7 trucks.

*inb4kasperR34saysbuyahemi*

All in all, if you have the money too feed them and repair them when they break, they're great trucks. Those of us that actually bought our trucks because we've loved them for years think of our time as a relationship.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your searching and ownership!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
JPMississippi

Thanks so much for your response!
I guess it's a "good crazy" then, huh?

I just won't be satisfied with any other vehicle.SUVs aren't a good fix for me. I did find a 2004 in my price range; it has a new engine (5k miles on it.)

I have a few more weeks, so I will be really looking hard for a 1 owner truck and really get as knowledgeable as I can and definitely bring someone with me that knows trucks.

I do want it to be comfortable enough for me and my girls and doable in the maintenance department.

I can see that I will love it when I do find it! Thanks again, JP

Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a nice vehicle for your purposes, you will lose out a bit on mpg versus some other choice you can make, but if you like the look and idea of a truck its hard to go wrong with the ram. With a new engine definitely make sure you take it to a mechanic. Be sure to look at front suspension things which likely will need replaced soon or will have just been replaced on mid 2000 trucks (100-120,000 you will likely need to redo front suspension). Like dodgedude said, you never know what could happen, but you're no more likely to get a lemon with a dodge truck than any other used vehicle. Good luck on your search and post a picture back here if you do buy one!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

What are you looking at getting? 1500, 2500, 3500? Gas or diesel if getting the 25/3500?

These are great trucks, they are no more likely to have issues than anything else on the road. Everything depends on the previous owner and usage of the truck.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy something with a Hemi

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM
JPMississippi

Thanks for all the advice. I am only looking at 1500 Crew cabs. I will come back to DF when I've bought one and post a photo! When I get closer to choosing one, I may come back with the details to see what y'all think. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Get a Hemi then, DON'T get a V6 or 4.7. Hemi all the way. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
JPMississippi

I understand now that I've been on this forum a couple of days, that Hemi's are the way to go haha...I still don't completely understand why, but I will definitely be looking for a Hemi..thank you!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMississippi
I understand now that I've been on this forum a couple of days, that Hemi's are the way to go haha...I still don't completely understand why, but I will definitely be looking for a Hemi..thank you!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a used Dodge ram, need advice