3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How do you feel about your IFS lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you feel about your IFS lift?

I'm wanting to get peoples opinions on how lift kits and bigger tires have effected the front end of their IFS 1500 4x4 trucks.

I've got a 2007 QC, 4x4. I've thought of lifting it several times but have held off because I didn't think the front end was strong enough to handle it. The lift and tires would have been nothing crazy, a 4" lift and 33" tires.

I have 95,000 miles on my truck. I am getting ready to replace the 2nd set of ball joints and the 1st set of tie rod ends. I do use the front diff in this truck. Its not extreme by anymeans but I do use 4x4 in sand, mud, rutted out and rocky 2 track roads...that sort of thing. I've also had to do pretty regular front end alignments. It seems to me that a lift would exacerbate all these issues.

Anyways, I called Desert Rat Off Road told them what kind of truck I had asked about a lift and asked what I could expect problem wise if I lifted it. He told me if it was just for street use I wouldn't have too many issues but told me if I use the truck off road any at all I would have serious issues with the front end components. He said the front ends couldn't handle the extra stress from the lift and heavier, bigger tires. I then told him about the ball joints, tie rods and alignments and the salesman told me if I'm already experiencing these problems this frequently he definitely would not recommend lifting it because it would really break these parts down. That seems obvious.

With all this said, I see ALOT of lifted half tons. I'm just curious what the real world experience is with all of you guys that lifted your truck and actually use it off road.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, being that these trucks came with 20" wheels that have 33" rubber from the factory, I dont think you'll have any issue's.

Going with anything larger than 35" is when you'll run into major issue's.
Using lift blocks(2" and 2.5" gives a 4wd shake)

The backs are pretty high already and both Rancho and Bilstein make Lift Struts for these trucks that are 1000000x's better than lift blocks! Rancho Quicklifts are adjustable from .5"-2.5" and Bilstein Lift Struts are 2" in height I believe.
Both are an economical lift for the front without any probelms that typically arise from Lift blocks! These front ends aren't too good with lift blocks for vairous reasons.

2" lift up front will give you a leveled look. 2.5" will be slightly higher.
You can do Rancho 2.5" up front and 1" blocks out back. That'll give you a nice stance and save you a bunch of money! But eitherway, you'll have plenty of room for 33's as she currently sits.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Well... I've got a 4x2, so obviously IFS, but I did lift it 2 inches in the front to level it with spacers and I can see the balljoints are pretty much maxed out. If I want to go any higher I'll need to consider a spindle lift.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I've got the Rancho quick lift on it. Funny thing is, when I put them on, I had to measure the front wheel well to verify it had lifted. I couldn't tell by looking at it.

I do have the stock 20" wheels and I know they're supposed to be 33's but they measure out to 31.25'' Its time for new tires right now. However, I'm waiting until I hit 100,000 then I think I'll buy some 17" wheels and tires. Probably a Cooper AT 3 285-70-17 or 75-17 which ever one it is.

I didn't know the quick lift was adjustable. I just thought the dial on the shock was for dampening.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean if you use the truck for hardcore offroading where you're gonna be putting tons of stress on the front end then yea of course. But that's only if youre doing high speed desert offroading or something. Doing typical offroading requires low speeds so you won't be putting too much stress on the front end. There are guys here who have had their lifts for 6+ years and do regular offroading with no real issues except changing out front end parts as necessary for maintenance. I got my lift used with 35k on it and I've had it on for over 2 years and another 20k with no front end issues to date. I don't do any crazy offroading but I've put some serious stress on my front end doing what I like to call city offroading lol. Basically, yes a cheap poorly done lift will cause parts to wear out faster. A good properly installed one will still cause parts to wear out faster then factory but its not bad.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your IFS lift?