3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New- Main goal..better fuel efficiency.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:17 PM
jr520
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New- Main goal..better fuel efficiency.

I have a 2004 1500 Crew Cab Hemi. NO engine mods. 6 inch left kit with 35's. I have owned the truck since new. It has low mileage bc I've always had a work vehicle. I've never worried about how it ran. Well now I am. I have moved and it is on the road more to run errands and drop kids here and there. The gas needle moves towards E alot faster now. So I'm searching for ways to "help" with fuel efficiency. I know it's a truck with a big engine..gonna use gas. But every little bit helps. Of course I check tire pressure. Gonna make the switch to Synthetic oil. Maybe even get it in for a "tune up" (new plugs etc..) The things that are popping up on searches:
1. Cold air high flow air intake system. 2. Cat Back exhaust system (friend suggested as well) 3. Engine Tuner.
Will all this help? Where should I start?
For the air intake and exhaust: I don't really want crazy exhaust sound. But I do grasp the thought process: Better air flow and usage the better the engine breathes= better efficiency.
As for tuners. I have read comments and thoughts. "do research".. "some brands are better for certain truck brands". "Brand X may work better in Dodge but crap in Ford" and so on..
"try to find used but make sure it has the program". I would like something that tunes it all up. I'm sure with the bigger tires the transmission isn't shifting or behaving as it should. I'm sure the speedometer is off.
Again, not looking to go crazy here. Just want things to run better, smoother and more efficient.
Thanks for any input.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What gears in your axles?

None of the suggestions are going to give you 'better' mileage..... Increasing the 'efficiency' of your engine means "air moves through better/faster/more", which will use MORE gas. Not less. Sure, it's possible you may not need to step on the go pedal as hard, to get the same results as previously.... but, I doubt you will notice much of a difference in fuel mileage.

Re-gearing the diffs MIGHT give you a point or two on gas mileage, depending on what's in there now, but, spending near 2 grand for 1 MPG really isn't something I would consider 'cost effective'.

As you said, it's a truck, with a big motor. It's also lifted, with bigger, heavier, tires. If gas mileage is your biggest concern, take off the lift, put on smaller tires....... Either that, or pick up an inexpensive beater, that actually is designed for good gas mileage. Don't spend a lot, and just leave the minimum insurance on it. Probably turn out to be the cheapest route.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

It's a truck.......

Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 PM
jr520
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gears are whatever is factory. Sorry I don't know more then that. Yeah that sounds like alot of work for MAYBE just a little. I won't be making all those changes. Yup, its a truck. just thought I could squeeze a little out of it. Thank you all for the input.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I would say alter your driving style for the biggest effect, but, I have found that 'babying' my truck, I actually get WORSE gas mileage.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Resurrecting this thread: If you want better mileage from that truck, lose the lift and put street tires on it. That's the only way you will see a major change in your wallet as a result of how much and how often you are paying out for fuel. There is absolutely no mod you can do to your truck that will "pay for itself" in fuel savings with the way you have it set up as a rolling windscreen with big, heavy tires. Sorry.

I agree with the idea of buying a beater car -- though do the math and see how much that car and maintenance would actually save you, versus the same money you'd be putting into the truck over time. Is it really saving money in the long run? Probably not, unless you get someone to give you a vehicle free of charge.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
It's a truck.......
^This.

I improved the fuel economy of my truck by buying and driving a 4-banger as my daily driver. The great part about the truck is it is able to haul hundreds of pounds of cargo, such as lumber and gravel, along with towing a trailer. My car sucks at that.

Search this Thread