3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

On to the next flip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default On to the next flip

Bought a 02 ram 1500 4x4 4 door short bed 4.7 sport package. Another fun drive home.did an oil change and had to jump start it. Timing chain was slapping like no other the 30 plus mile drive. The bakes acted really weird. Like a warpped rotor times 10. Would hit the brakes and it acted like the brakes where smahed then let off then smashed again. Pedal was thumping my foot. The back end was hopping to when it would hit the point when the pedal pushed back. The speedo was bouncing but wasnt way off, thinking its the rear diff sensor. I have started the motor tear down and this truck was abused. Sludge like no other. the previous owners did power mods like exhaust cai and a superchips 3950( found it in the center console, instant bonus) also a paper weight throttle body spacer that looks to be reatricting air flow. Had the person just changed the oil it would have had more power. I will get some photos up soon.
​​​​​​

Old 02-06-2018, 05:30 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Default Update

Finished up the tear down while its the truck. Not what i wanted to see. The cylinder walls look good with cross hitching still visible on all cylinders. Pulled the pistons and rods out. The rod bearings are shot. Some of the rods are bad. The bearings are nicked up from junk in the oil. A few of the rods had wiggle room. Cylinder 7 rod bearings are stuck to the crank and had been spinning on the rod. I guess the oil i added before driving it home is the only thing that saved me from throwing a rod and needing a tow. Now i have to decide how to resolve the problem. Thinking of getting a junkyard motor with a tight bottom end and swapping the heads onto it.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If you can find a decent, low-mileage motor, just drop it in.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

Finaly got around to pulling a motor. Motor looks to have had the heads changed and new timing components. Havent touched the truck in months so its time to get back at it.

Quick Reply: On to the next flip