3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7 hemi build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No response from inertia motorsports yet. Might have to do more looking around to find a different parts seller for a cam. Looked at modern muscle extremes web page a bit more in depth. I need to start the motor disassembly so i can inspect the crankshaft. Thinking forged drop in pistons and rods might be the way to go. Did see a few stroker kits that where in my price range, just not sure how straight forward they would be to install. Not many machine shops around and not sure how much i would trust them to machine the block properly. Fixed up some stuck caliper slide pins today. Rotated the cupped tires off the front to the back. Going to work on cleaning up the outside today and drive it as is untill i have the motor built and ready to swap in. Loving the truck more each time i floor it. Talked to the previous owner today, he bought a new 6.4 hemi truck. Maybe when its 10+ years old i can get one.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

Started the motor tear down. Got the intake and heads off. Will need a right side head and will be getting it bored out. Wont be a 345 cu in anymore.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

What was bouncing around inside the cylinder to do that???

Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

A piece of the piston and the valve seat i would assume. Its kind of a good thing. Means i will get the block bored and i have a head to cut apart to compare to when i port out the heads and to practice on.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That had to make some REALLY rude noises........

Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

It sounded pretty rough the 5 seconds i heard it run. Bought it knowing it was jacked up and parted out the truck except the motor and trans i kept. Pulled a head at the junk yard. Best 37 dollars i spent all week. Going to take them to the machine shop to get all the seats replaced and get them milled. There was 3 hemis in the junk yard, 2 had the heads pulled and one of them was identical to my bad one. Cylinder 8 must be the most common bad valve seat or has cooling problems.
finally got a response from inertia motorsports. Not a fast response time but makes me feel more comfortable to order a cam from them.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

How mild of a cam are you looking for? Mine is pretty extreme and to use it your engine will need to be bored out. I can link it if you want

Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

Im pretty set on getting the spartan camshaft from inertia. Its under 220 duration and not extreme lift. Im wanting mid range power with a little more up top without killing the power down low. I would be interested to see what cam you are using.

Found another truck on craigslist i want to buy and flip. I think the accumulator plate has backed out or bent from the screws backing out. Worst case i swap in my extra 545rfe i got from a parts truck. If it works out i will have a little extra to spend on my motor build. Could be enough profit to get a turbo kit. Forced induction seems to make lots of mid range and top end power. Would let me build for low end power and let the turbo produce the top end power. Or i could splurge on a nice set of tires. Either way it will get spent on my truck.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

Thought i would give an update. Bought the truck to flip. Owner said it had tranmission problems and that the engine was good. Well the transmission is perfectly fine. Motor had loose timing chains and was in limp mode from the cam sensor. Replaced the timing chains and water pump. Replacing the broke exhaust manifold bolts and put on a wheel bearing.
got the pistons out and timing chain and oil pump out of the hemi project build. Picture is the cyl 8 piston.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did that thrash the block as well?

Quick Reply: 5.7 hemi build