3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

To regear or not to regear????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:29 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To regear or not to regear????

Ok, ok, I know everyone's first thoughts...most of us are addicted to the idea of regearing, and I am as well...been wanting 4.56 with my 35s for a LONG time. Could never really afford it. Well, now...I had to pull my cousin out of some deep $h!t and apparently broke something. I thought it was just my CV axles clacking as I knew they were bad...one tinks when jiggling when truck isn't even off the ground, the other has a bad boot, so I knew it was wearing out...so I ignored the noises...Now, tonight I needed 4x4 to get out of a little mud in the driveway, and it's grinding even though the front wheels aren't even trying to spin.

So I'm sure I toasted the R&P. So, where my question comes in is, is it really worth me to regear...obviously, I have to rebuild the front end or get a junk yard axle. I know if I only do the front, I have to stay 3.55. Where my debating comes in is it's 2006 with 240K on it. I've literally only had to replace the fuel pump as far as parts not considered wearable or things that I broke from abuse, like now. It's been a VERY good truck, but I have the feeling that soon everything is going to start breaking at once...so spending the money on doing both front and rear axles may not be wise. Especially, going 3.55 to 4.56, I'm gonna play way too much/hard and probably burn the transmission out from driving fast and hard, or the lifter tick that has been there for 200K that I keep telling myself is the exhaust manifold leak that just sounds like a tick...but seems to be getting a little worse. If it is infact a tick, I'll prolly make it worse quickly by hotrodding with my new gears.

So, with all that said, in your honest opinions, would I be wiser to just fix what is broke and make the most of it, and just hope to get my next truck with the gearing? Or should I just bite the bullet and finally build my truck how I want it and worry about rebuilding trans and motor as needed??

Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? If the body/frame are in good shape, and everything else is up to snuff, and you have the funds to fix major issues if/when they arise, and most importantly, if you LIKE the truck........ Then go ahead and build it.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:49 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? If the body/frame are in good shape, and everything else is up to snuff, and you have the funds to fix major issues if/when they arise, and most importantly, if you LIKE the truck........ Then go ahead and build it.
Well, I do LIKE the truck, had her since 06. Wouldn't mind a new one, but I'd likely still keep this one for a toy or a work truck or winter truck, etc. Rest of truck is in good shape except the cancerous rust. I'm just concerned because I've literally had ZERO issues with this truck, and read/hear about people with nightmare problems between electrical, computer, transmission. So I'm afraid that soon it'll be one thing after another. Whether or not I have the money for major issues is negligible, cuz I don't have the money for another truck either. Looks like it'll be about $500 to do the front or $1000 to do both, including throwing in an Auburn in rear. So you can see how tempting it is to bite the bullet, I just really want opinions as to if it's worth the money considering the possible longevity of the truck. I looked up a few trucks of same bodystyle in my area, and looks like for around $6k I can buy another truck down the road with around 60K less miles that these axles will work for to be swapped in the future. So I'm really leaning to just diving in and hope the truck remains to treat me as good as it has.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

It's always a gamble. But, I think you have a good plan. Do what ya want with it, and just keep driving it until it dies.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

That is pretty cheap, sounds like DIY cost.... If you've never done it before, you'll probably want some special tools to get the gears setup properly. If its as rusty as I think it is, you might be better off doing the minimum you can - sell it off and buy a southern or western 3/4 ton with 4.10s.

Quick Reply: To regear or not to regear????