3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheel well rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

If the epoxy primer is also a sealer, yeah, it'll be fine.

I like POR 15, or Chassis Saver paint on the non-visible areas. That stuff is TUFF.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about for when i get home? that stuff doesnt sound too easy to sand off? I think the bondo work will be done probably 3 or 4 days after the welding so I think that will mean that its past the "window" of time where you can bondo on top of the primer?

Old 10-06-2020, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it is a sealer as well, doesn't matter how long you leave it. It DOES sand off pretty easy though. Not real bad to work with. Worst case, just buy a couple rattle cans of sealing primer. You can sand if off at your leisure, and respray with whatever you like.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:12 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Unfortunately, born and raised in the rust belt and w/o silver spoon.... I have done more than my fair share of body stuff. I can buy a quart of chassis saver for $40 locally. If you use that stuff, you need to put at least 2 coats on clean metal - and 3 to 4 coats on previously rusted metal. Says that right in the paint directions, and you need to wait a long while between coats - like 3-6 hours until it isn't tacky at all. I prefer to spray it, and you want to buy the S8 reducer if you spray it- that is like $9 but will last you a a while. Clean with lacquer thinner (not mineral spirits), and wipe it off well before it even thinks about tacking up.

On the outside of the truck, where you plan to topcat or use filler... check out polyester filler, and buy a package of the 3M red scotchbrite to rough up the primer for next coat. If you buy PPG DP40 (whatever color you want), you can top it w/o sanding for 7 days. Buy the cheaper stuff from their Omni or Shop Line brands - and its 3 days before you have to sand. I buy the cheaper stuff, because its so easy to just use the red pad to get it ready.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Tyler Oplasage (10-28-2020)
Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Well, I know I am extremely late on this post but I figured that I would still post it for you guys to see. It went well and turned out extremely good. It took about three weeks for me to cut weld grind and coat the underside with por-15 and what not. I did both wheel well sides and one rear corner of the box. I had a guy do the filler and paint. I will add that I did go back to grind off my primer and fill the stitches with weld so that it was welded all the way across. This was a very time consuming part because I had to bounce around and give it time to cool.

The following users liked this post:
RPMRamFury (06-11-2023)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:37 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, that looks like it came out perfectly!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
No kidding. That looks awesome.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:01 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Originally Posted by HeyYou
No kidding. That looks awesome.
Thanks guys. Next up is a full compound and polishing of the truck when ever I find the time to do er!

Quick Reply: Wheel well rust