3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Shifter is sticky and gets stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 09:26 AM
BigHoss37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter is sticky and gets stuck in park

Hey all, I have a 2008 ram 2500 and for the last few days the shifter gets stuck in park I can't get it into gear. It sticks for awhile I keep on pushing the brake in and out and sometime it faster and sometimes takes like 10 min to get it to move into gear. any idea what the problem is and how to resolve it thanks I have turned the wheel while trying and even tried rocking the truck.

Last edited by BigHoss37; 02-19-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

I think there is a solenoid that locks the shifter in place, until you step on the brake. So, it's either sticking, or maybe the switch is going bad.

The following users liked this post:
BigHoss37 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 07:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 582 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by BigHoss37
Hey all, I have a 2008 ram 2500 and for the last few days the shifter gets stuck in park I can't get it into gear. It sticks for awhile I keep on pushing the brake in and out and sometime it faster and sometimes takes like 10 min to get it to move into gear. any idea what the problem is and how to resolve it thanks I have turned the wheel while trying and even tried rocking the truck.

Aggravating, isn't it? I had an '03 that did that. Get some WD-40 lubricant. It's not the regular stuff. It's a gel. Peel the rubber boot on the shifter levar back and you'll see a little aluminum arm that locks the shifter in place. These trucks have issues with that sticking. Spritz (<----fancy technical term) some lubricant onto the lever. When you step on the brake it releases the lever. I did it when I first got my truck and itt never gave me any more trouble. I'm sure there will be a video on it on Youtube.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:38 PM
Ericuda

Kids doing same randomly. Is there an override that can be done or a permanent fix so it doesn't happen again.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 582 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericuda
Kids doing same randomly. Is there an override that can be done or a permanent fix so it doesn't happen again.

After I put some gel lubricant in the shift in the steering column, it didn't happen again as long as I had my truck. Like I told a previous poster, there's a youtube video on it. Try here;

There are several videos but that's the clearest one I could find.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:09 AM
BigHoss37

Thanks for the video

Quick Reply: Shifter is sticky and gets stuck in park