3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My take on the back seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 01:25 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My take on the back seat mod

Hello!

I wanted a better way to organize my gear in my truck as I was getting tired of it all being thrown in a ball under one of the rear seats. The back seat mod, at least on the 03, involves simply flipping the hooks that the seat backs lock into on the rear of the cab upside down, allowing the seat backs to release fully once you lift on the seat cushion.
Most people that do this mod I've seen, at least on Youtube, just put maybe a behind the seat strap-on organizer thing, or maybe slide some things behind the seats. I wanted to make something fully functional.

The insulation panel behind the seats eats up about 2.5 inches of space, so, I ripped it out. It was replaced with sound deadening.

The factory insulation panel "removed"

The sound deadening mat installed

Carpet installed

I wanted something that would allow me to utilize the MOLLE attachment system to hang my organizer bags. Factory MOLLE panels are stupid expensive and usually, for automotive use, set up as a tall unit to mount on the back of a seat. I did some googling and found a guy on Youtube named Van R who posted -->
<-- video where he uses a Kobalt Steel Shelf as the basis for his MOLLE rack. And wouldn't you know, my local Lowes had two on the shelf. Each grid is roughly 1"x1", the smallest size you can get away with for MOLLE. With a couple stand off's welded to the, what is now the feet, the shelving units fit oh-so perfectly.

The shelf that provides the MOLLE support

Another angle of the carpet installed

Here's how it looks now. I get about 9 inches of useable vertical space on the racks which is plenty for what I intend to store there. I bridged the two racks with a wire that lets me hang my tie down ratchets in the middle. I still have 100% of my under-seat storage, plus now all this room behind the seats.

Current status

Whacha think?

The following 2 users liked this post by Prismatic:
Bio4x4 (01-13-2024), jkeaton (03-02-2022)

Quick Reply: My take on the back seat mod