3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:15 AM
tailgatedrinkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL???

every diesel i ever drove you just turn the key to on position and wait for the light to turn off, then you just turn the key to start position like you would any other vehicle

Old 03-31-2007, 03:53 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cummins is more truck at a higher price than most people really need from going to point A to B empty.

Check arround for prices of gas and diesel flue, with summer rolling arround and all the 5th wheel wagon trains behind diesel trucks, diesel flue is going to be = in price to gas.

Thiers no point in buying a more expensive truck ifyour not going to use the extra perks that come with it.

Resale is a crock of Sh...., if your worried abought that, than don't buy any new truck, the more expensive the price, the quicker it is going to depreacate, Hemi or cummins, it's dumb to spend a extra 7 grand up front to think your truck is going to be worth more down the road, when 7 Grand can pay off your hemi quicker.

Up keep, coolant, maintance, oil changes ect is going to be = or less than a gaser once you facter in that Dodge want's you to replace the pulgs in the hemi every two years and that the glow plugs in a cummins can last the life time of the engine.

It's not a question of which is better, but which better suites your needs.

Diesel flue is more dense tha gas and compresse's at a lower RPM with more kenitic energy, that's why thier a better work horse over the long haul.

Empty, I would wager the Hemi and Cummins are pretty close in mileage, I have yet to hear any one say thier getting 22 mpg empty on the highway with a cummins, I'm dam closde to 22mpg in my reg cab 2500 4x4 hemi 6sp..

Old 04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fella's, i guess Diesel is strictly a work horse type of truck, that i probably wouldn't need for everyday commute, and hauling once in a while......Very informative.....

Old 04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Diesels do not have to be a work truck. I tow very seldomly with mine, so it is a daily driver. To start it you turn the key just like a gasser. When it is cold you have to "wait to start" and the little light will tell you when the truck is ready to be started. You can plug it when it is cold out for quicker start times, but i believe the truck will start on its own until -20. There is some maintence, but not a crazy amount. Oil changed ever ~5000, fuel filter changed every ~5000, oil filter at changes, transmission filter every ~30,000, differential fluids every~15,000. If you look on the diesel forum they have FAQ at the top and it tells you everything to know about it. If you have any more questions try posting in the diesel section because most of the diesel owners do not read the 3rd gen forum. There are many exhust setups that you can place on a CTD. The most popular is cut out everything and straight pipe it with an aero in it.

BTW I get greatfuel milage with Drews Brew. I usually get 17 in town and over 20 on the highway. And cyclone you are in a regular cab hemi so you are going to get a bit better milage. But get a mega cab with the hemi and see what kind of milage you get.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
motorider228
Champion

A 4x4 hemi mega cab would get terrible mileage and be a dog. My next truck will be a 4x4 QCSB cummins. If it aint cummins it's just breatin hard! haha

Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

well, you guys know what Diesel fuel really is? (My parents friend owns a gas station) It's USED OIL... You know, the oil you dump in NAPA or whatever, and then it gets processed a bit into Diesel. So basically, your putting Oil in your tank...

Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: bigjrussell

Yeah, CTD is definitely the way to go....if you've got the money. I'd like to see a RCSB 1500 diesel. All the benefits of a CTD, with none of the grandpa styling or long bed required. That'd be one sweet truck, a performer in every aspect.
dude I totally agree. My big issue with the 2500 and 3500 is the now available RCSB. I still want one and will hopefully get one. but for an 18 yr old I think cruisin around the college campus ina RCSB with some nice chrome wheels (normal size not now 25 inchers or nuttin like that) and bigger tires with a level kit will attract the women much better. That way when my charm and good looks don't work the truck can just roar once or twice and they'll be on my arm. hooraaaa, long live pickup trucks.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

The cummins is more truck at a higher price than most people really need from going to point A to B empty.

Check arround for prices of gas and diesel flue, with summer rolling arround and all the 5th wheel wagon trains behind diesel trucks, diesel flue is going to be = in price to gas.

Thiers no point in buying a more expensive truck ifyour not going to use the extra perks that come with it.

Resale is a crock of Sh...., if your worried abought that, than don't buy any new truck, the more expensive the price, the quicker it is going to depreacate, Hemi or cummins, it's dumb to spend a extra 7 grand up front to think your truck is going to be worth more down the road, when 7 Grand can pay off your hemi quicker.

Up keep, coolant, maintance, oil changes ect is going to be = or less than a gaser once you facter in that Dodge want's you to replace the pulgs in the hemi every two years and that the glow plugs in a cummins can last the life time of the engine.

It's not a question of which is better, but which better suites your needs.

Diesel flue is more dense tha gas and compresse's at a lower RPM with more kenitic energy, that's why thier a better work horse over the long haul.

Empty, I would wager the Hemi and Cummins are pretty close in mileage, I have yet to hear any one say thier getting 22 mpg empty on the highway with a cummins, I'm dam closde to 22mpg in my reg cab 2500 4x4 hemi 6sp..
cummins doesn't have glow plugs. It uses an intake heater which is basically a toaster oven on steroids to heat the air up to combustable temp. So that's one less thing to worry about on the cummins

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HighDuke1911

well, you guys know what Diesel fuel really is? (My parents friend owns a gas station) It's USED OIL... You know, the oil you dump in NAPA or whatever, and then it gets processed a bit into Diesel. So basically, your putting Oil in your tank...
It is a biproduct from gas produciton. They use crudeoil tomake gas and the diesel seperates out. They add some stuff to it and whola, diesel.What exactly do you think gas is, leprechans? Dont gas and diesel both come from the same place,crude OIL that comes out of the ground.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:29 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

diesel is used oil.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL???