3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
TheBigNasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi engine Failure

Was driving home from taking the wife and kid to the park when the engine died. Started back up and acted like it was running on three cylinders and knocking real bad. Pulled off the road and shut off then tried to restart, knocked even worse, the locked up. I have a cai, and a loud muffler installed, thats it.
tThe motor is expired. i will have it towed to the deaaler tomorrow to see what the damage is and see what they will do.

By the way it is a 2005 ram 5.7 hemi 4x4 with 19600 miles on it. i purchased new in 6/05 and have only driven it on the weekends and to church. the ttruck is babied and has never been ridden hard on the gas, and i have never pulled anything with it.
what am i looking at with dodge? is this a normal issue, a truck with 19,600 miles blowing a motor?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 PM
tailgatedrinkin
Professional
Default RE: Hemi engine Failure

i dont know man, i hope they dont try to screw you over by saying that the exhaust or intake caused it. make sure you fight them on that if they do. good luck man, and let us know what happens

Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Ben D.
Champion

From what i've heard valve spring failure is common with the hemi. My guess is the spring failed and the valve dropped into the cylinder and well from then on out it was just self destructing

Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
TheBigNasty

There is no way an exhaust or an air delivery system like a cold air intake can cuase internal failures in an engine. I f they do try to say that or fight me i will sue, no problems, i have the means available to take on an automaker. I just am so dissapointed though, i have never heard of this thing happening to the Hemi engine, that is why i waited to buy one, before they went to mds, and to get this body style before they changed it in 06.

IF it is a common spring problem then i will wary of even keeping this truck even with a new engine in it. maybe i will just get the diesel.
Any known problems with those?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Not many known issues on the diesel. On mid 2000-04's i think (Drew, Diesel demon help me out on the years) the lift pump in the tank was prone to failure at 100k or so miles. but that's about it and that's not a bad fix.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:09 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are OK. They will put in a new motor. Theymay ask for oil change info, but in the end they will replace. The down side, you will be without it for a couple weeks.

My 05 has just under 13K, but if I ever sell my Jeep it will go up fast.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM
TheBigNasty

Thank you all for the info. 94 I do not care if it takes that long, i just want it fixed. i called a friend of mine who may be a big influence on the local dealer here and was assured that i would be taken care of.nice to know people. cant tell yall who but if i were a real joe bloe customer, things, "i think", would be a lot different......

haha 94 sorrry i did not add this earlier, all records for services are on there(the dodge dealerss) renold and renolds system becuase i have a contract with chrysler that states that i get every oil change free for 7 years or a certain milage which i have taken care of being free. lol

i have had the damn oil changed at 2500 miles just cuase ia m **** and want this truck forever......so i thought

Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: TheBigNasty

IF it is a common spring problem then i will wary of even keeping this truck even with a new engine in it. maybe i will just get the diesel.
Any known problems with those?
There is a known issue with the valve springs on the earlier gen 3 rams but I have not seen 05's with it. It could be that not many of them had the problem yet.

I would go with the springs from the 6.1L Hemi. I have also read here about an aftermarket spring. But they will not install those with a warranty repair so I would drive it and not worry about it while it is under warranty and once it is out I would have the springs changed.
It sucks that you have to go through the trouble of the time without the truck but if it does it a 2nd time under warranty I am sure if you call Dodge and remind them that if it happens a 3rd time it will fall under the lemon law and if your state allows it you could be awarded a full refund. Then they will do everything to make you happy.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
TheBigNasty

They are tearing the motor down tomorrow, went to the shop and talked to the owner of the dealership, they have not seen this problem with the Hemi before.i will be taking pictures of the heads and the block including all the damage it did to the valves, pistons, and the crank if any.

we will see, the only thing that is different from the dealer that it is a(being a domestic) and the dealer i work for, is that we will put a brand new block in it. domestic dealers will rebuild the enginge from the existing block. wierd. but either way i am still up in the air of keeping it or not.

funny note: my buddy told me to talk to the dealership and see what the difference on cost would be to put the 6.1 in there instead, i think i will just for fun since we know the owner so well, will let yall know.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Foiled
Veteran

About $3.00 more per spring is the difference if they only upgrade. Otherwise the intake spring is like $2.00 anf the exhaust is around $4.00 so the parts list say.

But the 5.7L hemi does not show different springs for the intake and exhaust but the 6.1L does show different springs. Someone else may be able to explain this.

Quick Reply: Hemi engine Failure