3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interesting Article Truck Comparisons-Dodge-Niss-Chev-Toy-Ford.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Interesting Article Truck Comparisons-Dodge-Niss-Chev-Toy-Ford.

When I read the two articles I think to myself:

"The Ram would have won this comparison if it had a 7 speed automatic transmission and a 6L V8 with variable valve timing. Those two changes would have allowed it to win both the acceleration and MPG categories"

How much would it cost DCx to design a 7 speed automatic and a 6L V8 with variable valve timing?

Well, that is a 'trick question' because those two parts are already designed, manufactured and running on Mercedes vehicles.

Then you first think to yourself:
"Well putting those improved parts on the Ram would cost too much"

But on second thought you remember:
"Well, Chrysler is having to apply $5000 to $7000 worth of incentives to keep the Ram sales from falling more than the 1.1% it already has, and the added cost of the better engine and transmission would surely be less than $5000."

Actually the cost of adding those two improvements to the Ram would probably be less than $1500.

How much would it have cost to make 5.7 Hemi engine and 6 speed manual transmissions available on Dakotas? Nearly Zero. How much would it have helped Dakota sales? Plenty.

On third thought, you end up concluding:
"The German managers of DCx have made mistake after mistake concerning Ram and Dakota sales"

Old 04-08-2007, 12:55 PM
sumncguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant comment on the ricers. I havent driven one. But you can search my threads for the long story ... I owned 01 Silverados LT , 05 Ford XLT and 03/05 QC, now 06 Mega Cab. Dodge by far is the best built truck. The Ford I owned for week That truck is the biggest piece of crap out of the lot and from what I see, there is not change to the 07 model. My brother and I did a side by side comparison of the underbody, went on a test ride one following the other .... Ford lost in all aspects. 10,000 lbs towing capacity ... yeah right, I pulled my 5k trailer about 400 miles from central NC to the Foothills of the Smokeys. By the time I got back the rear was fried. The Chevy was plagued with little crap going wrong not to mention the engine problems (cracked blocks) with most models between 1998 and 2002.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Cyclone, the one thing you forget is this. Without companies like Toyota, Nissan, GM, and others, building better trucks, and striving to become the best truck builders. Dodge would have no one to compete with. Therefore, everything would come to a stand still.
Take for example Toyota, they are claiming more HP, better braking than other trucks.(I don't know if you've seen the commercials) Well, if this is true, then Dodge needs to step up the pace to surpass Toyota, to reclaim that title...
This is one reason there is not a SRT-10 anymore.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They should have tested the mega cab, that would have taken care of the leg room. They tested the competitors largest cab, why not Dodge's? As for that part of the review I could care less, I buy RC's.

I agree 100% about the hard plastics and confusing fake wood plastic. The interior look/quality took a step back in 06.

I also agree Dodge has to up the power output. They have been the same for 4 years now, and guessing 08 will also be the 345HP model. If Dodge put the 6.1 in or upped the 5.7 to about 395HP I would be buying a new one, well if they fix the interior as well. Otherwise I have no reason to trade in/up.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 PM
WVJON

I am surprised no one mentioned things like crash ratings, first year breakdowns, driver satisfaction, warranty work and real life stuff. If I was worried about 0-60 and stuff like that I would not buy a 4X4 anyway. I am with the majority, the testers get paid somehow.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
canram
Rookie

In order to be an automotive journalist, you have to be a journalist first. That means being able to write well, meet publication deadlines and not whining too much about red eye flights across the coutry for a test drive. The differences between writing about cars and new baby elephants being born in a local zoo is really not that great. Most of the people I met that do this job are in it for the perks of driving new and pre-production cars and being able to take the testers home for the weekend. There is very little passion about cars or trucks, except in a few very rare cases. That is why they rely on 0-60 times and horsepower numbers as their main tools in reviewing cars/trucks/winnebagos/whatever. If they were good drivers, they'd be making a lot more money driving professionally or semi-professionally. If they had actual insight into the automotive industry and where it is going in the next 5 or 10 years, they'd be making a whole lot more money as consultants for big automotive manufacturers. The fact is they don't and many, if not all, hold an English Litterature degree. Not everyone can write a novel, but we all have bills to pay.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 PM
da92gs87
Professional

If Nissan is the best truck out there, then everyone would own one (this goes for other companies also). But, we do not. Everyone has there own style and personality.

my 2cents[X(]

Old 04-09-2007, 02:15 AM
TRHemi
Rookie

I too bought an 06 Ram Hemi....but first tested Chevy, Ford, Toyota, and even Nissan....having previously owned a chevy truck (spent most my time fixing it) and a ford truck (spent most my time putting gas in it).......it almost surprising to say the the Ram Hemi with the MDS gets good gas mileage...rides like a Cadillac....(mine)has yet to have any problems. I just rolled over 19k today and the only reason I would trade it in is if dodge puts more power ina 1500 or possibly just to switch it for a exact dup...with 4x4.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

I am not really interested in the 6.1L or the 5.7L with 50 more HP's, what I want to see is the Diesel engine that DCX has mentioned being dropped into the 1500's. That is something worth waiting for IMO.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If at the time the Jeep Liberty CRD was introduced
if Dodge had made this VM Motori built diesel available
either in the Dakota or Ram
how many more vehicles would they have sold?
{even if it would be an underpowered divetrain)

How many electric utilities, gas companies, delivery companies, and economy minded owners would have bought it?

My guess it that it would have sold at least 150,000 more vehicles over a 3 year period...and the service departments had to be ready for that engine anyway.

VM Motori also had a V6 version of that diesel engine during the period.

49% of the Italian company VM Motori is owned by DCx through their Detroit Diesel subdivision. 51% is owned by Roger Penske.

Quick Reply: Interesting Article Truck Comparisons-Dodge-Niss-Chev-Toy-Ford.