3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

reseting the pcm, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
1baddodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reseting the pcm, help!!!

Honestly this is the first time I ever heard about resetting your computer. You really do not need to. What the Superchips programmer does is simply read your stock settings, saves them then replaces it with what choices you make with your programer. Now here is a big mistake the programmer does NOT recognize what mods you have made to your truck i.e. exhaust CAI things of that nature. If you go to the Superchips website yes it asks you what have you done to your truck or what are you going to do to it. All that is for is sales. It lets them know what your spending your money on. If you do not believe what I am saying than simply call superchips directly they will tell you. If you are actually looking to have a computer that understands your mods you will need to actually have to proffesionally get your computer reprogramed with what you have done to your motor. That costs some money also. There are shops out there that will do it. I hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41359/E3F33D4324E54E608D7A7B61D14A3DE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM
canram
Rookie

Modern cars and trucks with an automatic transmission will "learn" how to run your vehicle based on driver behavior. There are around 700 different algorithms that a car computer uses to adjust things like shift point, throttle advance, and brake engagement. It will also try to optimize the truck based on responses it gets from the various sensors. Although we may think that every car and truck that rolls off the factory floor is identical, they are not. Minor manufacturing differences can make some vehicles different from others in the amount of knocking/pinging, oil consumption and fuel economy.

The "break in" period is for both mechanical and electronic parts. Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is kind of like the cetral computer in the car/truck. When it comes from the factory, it is in its base level mode, containing the average and safe settings for the powertrain. As you drive the truck more and more it continuously makes adjustements to its programming with the expectation that after the first 8.5 hours of operation, the settings are fairly stable and will not change that much thereafter.

So if you alter your truck after the initial break-in period, the PCM will still recognize that change and adjust itself to it, but over a longer period of time than if you reset it and force it to relearn all of the settings from scratch.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 AM
marcinek

I have a 2003 Hemi and i was trying to reset my pcm after changing the oxygen sensors and I could not find a pcm fuse.
Its not in the fuse box

Old 04-08-2007, 01:27 AM
somebodyinok
Professional

Look at fuse number 23

Old 04-08-2007, 04:27 AM
cableguy1224
Veteran

WOW, thank you for all the information, So back to my question, do you think from just adding a K&N drop in filter and a magna flo muffler I need to reset it or not?

Thank you all!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

Look at fuse number 23
Is that for the 4.7 also? Pulling out fuse #23 and putting it back in will reset it?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuse number is different for some years. Look at the bottom of the fuse box lid for PCM/SKIM.

Cableguy, no do don't have to reset it for those mods. It will learn all by itself.

Quick Reply: reseting the pcm, help!!!