3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
snoman05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Proofing

Does anyone have any tips on how I can reduce the road noise inside my new 05' Quad Cab ST. The doors sound like they could use some sound proofing ... anywhere else. Maybe dyno mat on the floor under the carpet?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Sound Proofing

Yeah i have alot of wind noise in my front 2 doors when its real windy. I'm not sure what to do about it. Seems to me like maybe dodge had some poor door seals in our trucks as i know a few people with the same problem and have read a little bit about it on here.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

I'd rec you start by putting dynomat on the doors and see how that works and remember to use weatherproof materials in the doors because water gets in there. I noticed a big improvement when I put some dynomat around my new door speakers. I didn't even cover the whole door but could tell a difference in road noise right away. I think the doors echo road noise so a little work there goes a long way.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
bohoram
Professional

Yes, buy an '06.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
squatchie16
Professional

Dynamat is rather expensive and based on asphault. It smells like it too when it gets hot. Dynamat extreme is better, except for the price. It has a butyl base that wont smell or melt so easily.

I used Raamat+Ensolite in my doors and and am pretty happy with the results. You can find that here http://www.raammat.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi . Also, i would check out this link to compare sound deadeners http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ , it will provide a good foundation to make a choice with.

Whichever you go with make sure you get whatever that company calls their closed-cell foam product. For Raamat is Ensolite. This will help cut down dramatically on the road noise & sounds coming inside the truck from the fire wall, doors, floorpan, back or roof. The closed-cell foam is what you want, anything not closed-cell (indoor weather stripping) will absorb water and produce mold over time.

Some pics of it installed:

Old 04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Yep.....Raamat is what I used and it worked great. There is somemore talk about sounddeading in the A/V section.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
deanj287
Captain

one guy said he bought two huige sun visors (the foam ones) and cut them to fit the door. he said it worked pretty well considerin it cost like 10 bucks totall. shoot i think i might try it out tonight and ill repost to see if its worth while. it sounds really cheap but the process is doin the same thing. filling a cavity of air and also creating an insulated wall between the cab and the road. ( if i have this wrong please correct me!)

Old 04-12-2007, 12:42 PM
antman11

my 07 didnt have much wind noise till the dealer adjusted the door and fender due to a bad factory fit i couldnt live w/ the misaligned fender but i would trade back to the misalignment to get rid of the noise makes the truck sound chintzy

Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
cr80renob
Captain

On the first picture in squatchie16's post, what is that black gooey stuff the dealer puts around that white plastic piece in the door(it's big and almost covers the whole door right when you take the door panel off)? When you deaden your doors, do you have to put that plasticy/rubber piece back on? Thanks

Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 AM
deanj287
Captain

thats a moisture barrier. no you tose that as raammat is your new mositure barrier. the black tar like stuff is butyl and no need to clean it off (the back of most sound deadeners is a solid piece of this) any ways of your thinkin about spend a hundred bucks somewhere BUY RAAMMAT!!!! i jsut did all four doorson my 03. do the inside skin then cover all holes and try to get the outside skin to look like one big solid piece. I havent even done the back floor or back wall and with my cutout OPEN i can talk on the phone EASILY. Never been able to do this before. its sucha huge difference an well worth the few hours to get it done. My stereo set up sounds a lot crisper as well. simply amazing what a few layers of this stuff can do!!

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing