3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For those with above bumper light bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
CtCowboyFan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with above bumper light bar

Howdy
I'm thinking about getting the LED bar..For those that have it, are yours hard wired or plugged into the four prong hitch plug? If you use the plug, does that mean the light stays on all the time? Does anyone have troubles lowering the tailgate?
Thanks
Robert
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_d...1883C1979.aspx

Old 04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran
Default RE: For those with above bumper light bar

Yeah I like the looks of these too, I was think of mounting it under my back window has anybody done that and if so how big of a pain was that

Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Roadglide

I was thinking of picking one up too, but the hole to lower the spare is kinda in the way, anyone have one installed?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 AM
deadh
Amateur

I have one of the these, only the line of fire labeled one. It does plug into the 4 prong connector and is only on when the lights are on. Has a running light, brake and turn signal lighting. Some come with reverse lights which may need a wire spliced for reverse, but not sure.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 AM
deadh
Amateur

Also, no issues with tail gate or spare lowering hole that I am aware of. I will try to take pics when I can in the next day or so.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 AM
UncleRocketCoaster

I have the Fire & Ice light bar. It has white LEDs for reverse which has to be hard wired into the truck's wire harness. It does block the hole for the spare tire winch some but if you have to you can cut the bracket to fit. The rest of the wires plug into the trucks flat four trailer harness.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Ricker
Professional

I also have the Fire and Ice light bar. Mine is made by Recon.I had the original Line of Fire light bar as well and I feel the the Fire and Ice is brighter than the Line of Fire and it also has the super bright white reverse lights. It goes on easy with 3M tape and can be easily removed for access to the spare tire hole by way of unscrewing the light bar from the 3M tape pads. The reverse does have to be hard wired but the wire is long enough that it will reach to the left tail light. There is never any problem opening the tailgate because the light bar in only a couple of centimeters thick. It looks cool and really performs well at night. I love it!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
joepascoe19
Rookie

i also have a fire and ice light bar all i had to do was remove the palstic gromet hing from the hole to lower the spair the hole is clear and works freely

Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Foiled
Veteran

I have the Recon White Lightning. Which is the brake and reverse lights.

No tailgate problems and I have a clear shot to the spare tire through the hole. Also like the others have said. The recon unit has screws that mount the bar to the brackets so if you needed to remove it for a tire change you could then re install. Mine plugs in to the 4 pin trailer plug and I hard wired the reverse in to the center pin wire on my 7-pin plug but you can also tap it into the reverse light wire on the left tail lamp. Just be sure to use contact grease on the plugs to keep water out.

The hardest part of the install is just getting it level and straight, otherwise it is a simple install.

I will take some photo's of it.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter

Yeah I like the looks of these too, I was think of mounting it under my back window has anybody done that and if so how big of a pain was that
You could do this. But I would flip the bar over because you could hide the mounts better. You would only need to be sure you reverse the wiring for the turn signal lights.

I am speaking of the one I installed when I say the mounts. It is sort of L shaped from the side and if you mounted it normal it would not look right. They make it so the mounts are hidden by the bottom lip on the talegate so you would need to flip it so the bed rail by your rear glass would hide the mounts.

You may even be able to reverse the mounting brackets on it and mount it to the bed and not the cab so it would look like it is just sitting on the front bed rail right below the rear window.

Quick Reply: For those with above bumper light bar