3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with your trucks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with your trucks???

What kind of problems have all of you been having with your Rams? I have heard about alot of problems in the front ends (keeps tearing ball joints up), transmissions going bad, and the Hemi sucking valves and blowing up. I have heard these kind of things from about 50% of the people I know that have this generation Rams and was just wondering what everyone else has come across.

Kinda debating whether to keep the truck (I love it now- but only 20k miles) or get rid of it to buy something older with less electronic control and little odds and ends to go bad.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Default RE: Problems with your trucks???

My neighbor has an 04 Ram 1500 QC/4WD Hemi with all kinds of Mods and no problems.

He drives it alot, he used to tow a boat to GA twice a month with a 4 wheeler in the bed. He sold the boat tho.

I know it has a sub-frame lift kit, bull bar & winch, Detroit Lockers, and 34" tires. Orignal stock Hemi and Tranny (with CIA, SC 3815 tuner, and Cat back dual exhaust) There is more but I don't recall them all.

It's a purdy Red Truck too.

As for my 06, I have a whistle in the drivers side door and I can see exactly where it is letting air in. If I can't fix it I'm sure they will. That be a minor issue.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
motorider228
Champion

read my selling the true flow thread. Lets just say this 06 is the last dodge I will ever own and I'm hoping for a buy back from chrysler.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my 02 ram i had didnt do so great...had the rear end replaced twice by the time i reached 80,000 miles, replaced both upper balljoints and outter tierod ends, brake pads went to crap at 15K....

this 04 i have now, nothing like my 02...had the driver side latch replace (under warranty), cd player replaced (under warranty), and have a intermitent problem with the wipers, but i know what the fix is and just havent got around to fixing it....

motorider, are you gonna be selling your auburn posi too? if you are let me know, i'd be interested in buying it

Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
motorider228
Champion

No I am not selling the limited slip as I can not uninstall it myself sadly.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[:@], that really sucks....hope everything gets worked out between you and DCX

Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Recently tore a steering boot (148k miles) andall my passenger power windows are selective at moving. I have to "pop" the window lock button to get them to move for my passengers, and even then, the windows move far slower than they should. I have that narrowed down to the driver control switch assy, and my passenger rear door won't activate the dome light. As far as the truck's concerned, that door never opens. And I have to press unlock several times to get the rear doors to unlock. I think they just need lubed. Power lumber in the driver's seat doesn't work either. No idea what's causing that yet. Disconnected hose maybe.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 PM
arrowman
Professional

Up to this past week, I've had no problems...
I put in a call today for an appointment...
Strange noises have started to announce themselves from my front-right corner...
Oddly, it also feels like my front rotors have warped.

Note, this truck has just passed 10k on the odo.. (just ran outside and looked, 10031 miles actual.)
She's getting an "appointment" for the following suspected and/or confirmed issues:

Suspected cracked motor mount(s)???? (Suspected due to change in body movement under acceleration and in shift points.)
Suspected bad CV joints, due to POPPING noise from R-F side when wheel is cut over hard. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected bad stabilizer connecting rods, due to slamming noise when driving over washboard roads.. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected bad steering rack... due to popping noise while turning to the left under way.. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected leak in front diff. Changed oil 2 weeks ago, right side seal looked like it could be wet, wiped it off, looks wet 2 weeks later.. Will push for new front diff when they replace the half-shaft and cv joint (Feeling confident.)
Also going to have them measure the ground clearance... Seems like I've lost almost 1.5" in the 12 months and 10k miles that I've owned the truck.. gonna press for new springs..
It's also certain to get the replacement seatbelt (FWIW.)
Gonna push for the bearings/hubs replacement, even though I technically fall 1 week outside the recall..

other than that, it's been a great truck... same quirks as my 03, which were fixed once and fixed right...
I can live with it.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

every single vehicle is going to have problems. It doesnt matter if you buy dodge ford chevy toyota nissan etc. No matter what you buy you will run into some things. So far dodge has been great for me. this is my second one and yeah i've had to get some things fixed but big deal it happens when you drive. the only way to avoid it is to let it sit in the garage with 0 miles on the odometer

Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
livetokite
Veteran

ORIGINAL: arrowman

Up to this past week, I've had no problems...
I put in a call today for an appointment...
Strange noises have started to announce themselves from my front-right corner...
Oddly, it also feels like my front rotors have warped.

Note, this truck has just passed 10k on the odo.. (just ran outside and looked, 10031 miles actual.)
She's getting an "appointment" for the following suspected and/or confirmed issues:

Suspected cracked motor mount(s)???? (Suspected due to change in body movement under acceleration and in shift points.)
Suspected bad CV joints, due to POPPING noise from R-F side when wheel is cut over hard. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected bad stabilizer connecting rods, due to slamming noise when driving over washboard roads.. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected bad steering rack... due to popping noise while turning to the left under way.. (saw this in my 03. fixed under warranty)
Suspected leak in front diff. Changed oil 2 weeks ago, right side seal looked like it could be wet, wiped it off, looks wet 2 weeks later.. Will push for new front diff when they replace the half-shaft and cv joint (Feeling confident.)
Also going to have them measure the ground clearance... Seems like I've lost almost 1.5" in the 12 months and 10k miles that I've owned the truck.. gonna press for new springs..
It's also certain to get the replacement seatbelt (FWIW.)
Gonna push for the bearings/hubs replacement, even though I technically fall 1 week outside the recall..

other than that, it's been a great truck... same quirks as my 03, which were fixed once and fixed right...
I can live with it.
i had noises coming from my front left wheel.. i took it to the dealer and they drove it when the noises were minor, and figures when i was there they didn't want to show themselves.. they said come back when it gets more frequent, so about 2 weeks later it turns into this LOUD screeching metal sound.. so my dad followed me up to the dealer and they found out the wheel bearings went bad (ended up having a recall on the wheel bearings for the 06 ram)

but other than that i have had NO problems at all

Quick Reply: Problems with your trucks???