3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rearend is smoked i do believe

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: rearend is smoked i do believe

The Chrysler 'corporate 9.25' differential has been having quality control problems at least since 1995, and Chrysler has not been able to get this differential back to the kind of reliability it had in the 1980s.

There really ought to be a recall in justice to customers,
but apparently Chrysler doesn't think they can afford the cost.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever change the differential fluid? Maintenance schedule says every 15K.

Now with that said the fluid is more than capable of going longer, my opinion why DC recommends every 15K? Because of those bad clips they have and by taking the cover off every 15K you may find a clip floating around in there and prevent a larger issue.

They will give you are hard time about 2 things if it comes to warranty replacement

1. Records of differential fluid change
2. Lowering kit, which in turn changed the pinon angle

Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...i made an appt at the dealership, but i never went....i went out to the auto campus and pulled my truck in the shop, got er on the lift and did some lookin around and found that the axle had shifted upward giving it way too much positive pinion angle, which was causing the vibration and all that fun stuff.....so i rotated it downward and got it as close as i could within spec, but it's still a few degrees positive, just need to weld some stuff up and it should be fine then...and i need to replace the pinion seal

thankfully the diff isnt trashed....yet

Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 AM
canram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd be very weary of doing my own repairs on a warranteed truck. If it's not too far out of the way, I'd go ahead and see what the dealer has to say before breaking out the welding gloves

The reason I say this is that if there are other problems down the road, they might point at the axle repair and say the warranty is void

Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

all i'm welding is the peice that went under the axle between the axle and the leafspring, all it did is relocated the axle backwards a inch or so and gave it that extra inch of lowering, so it's not like a critical part that i'm welding...just doing that so then the axle wont twist again

Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 AM
tinyfxds
Veteran

I had one of those clips go out in mine also. It cost me about 300 bucks and that was with the powertrain warranty. But it was still way cheaper than what it actually was.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 PM
deanj287
Captain

you never had the leaf spring perches welded completly did you?? if you lower the rear end with a FLIP KIT it is a MUST to weld the perches all the way as dodge (dont know why) didnt do it from the factory. your lucky if this is the case. ive personally witnessed axels being ripped off under track conditions due to filp kits.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yah, well this is my first attempt at lowering a vehicle so it's kind of a trial and error thing.....cept that coulda been an expensive error lol

Quick Reply: rearend is smoked i do believe