3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MPG Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 AM
05_FL_RAM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MPG Sucks!

wow...I have just the factory 20's and stock rubber.....a cheap eBay CAI unit.... power wire and grill mounted intake scoop.
with my 05 HEMI QC2X4 Auto...I get 15+ in the city and 19~21 on the highway.

some people talk as if they are surprised at the MPG these trucks get......WTF...was this an impulse buy for you? The 5.9 is right up there with the v10 trucks in gas consumption.......this CAN'T be new information for you..... ???
being a 2002..it might be time to review a few servicable areas of the drivetrain....tranny?

cut back on the mods...and try a different "style" of riding....accelerate gradually....don't race up to the speed limit.
some good ideas above...try the manual hubs....and perhaps a smaller tire?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a very long read
but with dozens of ideas that work on Rams:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_447500/tm.htm

In a nutschell:
learn about tire rolling resistance,
learn about the drag of the wind
consider a block warmer
slow down.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never use a light foot when excellerating (rpm's are always between 2-3k)and I get a better mpg average than when I'm trying to go slow while excelleratingto the speed limit+(specially on the highway). I average around15mpg onside streets and around 16mpg on the highwayin my 05' 1500 RC SB with the 5.7L HEMI andI dont have MDS. Giveyour truck a complete tune up, go with synthetics for your fluids, invest in a good exhaust system,make sure your filter was made for your truck and make sure it's clean,make sure your tires are properly inflated to the correct psi,when excellerating try to keepyour rpm'sunder3k, andinvest in an electric fan. Other than that man I dont know what else to tell you.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
nathanp
Captain

ORIGINAL: 05_FL_RAM

wow...I have just the factory 20's and stock rubber.....a cheap eBay CAI unit.... power wire and grill mounted intake scoop.

some people talk as if they are surprised at the MPG these trucks get......WTF...was this an impulse buy for you? The 5.9 is right up there with the v10 trucks in gas consumption.......this CAN'T be new information for you..... ???
being a 2002..it might be time to review a few servicable areas of the drivetrain....tranny?

cut back on the mods...and try a different "style" of riding....accelerate gradually....don't race up to the speed limit.
i dont see how u guys can get 20+ mpg with your truck...... right from when ive had my truck till now ive never gotten better then like 16 and sicne then have done intake, exhaust, programer and nothing has got it anywhere close to 20 mpg

Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: nathanp

ORIGINAL: 05_FL_RAM

i dont see how u guys can get 20+ mpg with your truck...... right from when ive had my truck till now ive never gotten better then like 16 and sicne then have done intake, exhaust, programer and nothing has got it anywhere close to 20 mpg
thank you!! lol. i can barely get to 13. lol. well, i did reset my MPG thingy on the freeway and i was at 22mpg with my MDS going. lol. but uhh... other than that, im under 15, all the time. but then again, i only have about 2500 miles on my truck. lol. well, i will do exhaust soon. a tonneau cover, K&N, and synthetic oil. hopefully that'll all do the trick to put me up at 17-20mpg. lol.

when i accelerate, i go slowly. i go up to 2500, then when it changes gears, i try to stay at 2500 and not go over. i keep my RPM's around 1500-2000. thats when my MDS is kicking in. so yeah. i have ****ty MPG so far. i really hope it gets better. i guess thats what you get for having such a badass truck, bad MPG. whatever. i understand its a truck, i understand ALL trucks have bad MPG, especially dodge. but im complaining, but i know that its normal. but still, i like to complain. i just think we are all doing whats natural with this situation. so im not gonna go say "oh, why you complaining, its a truck, blah blah blah blah!" but i do think that archer is getting the MPG he should be getting with his truck and accessories. it make sense to me at least.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

16.5mpg with 02' 4.7L. The last two weeks anyways. I try not to go any more than 5mph over the limit and coast to stop lights. My superships seems to work a little. I can't wait to get my exhaust redone cause with the straight pipes on it is getting worse gas mileage

Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Ricker
Professional

I think an electric fan would do you a lot of good. Anything to make the motor work less helps. Also look into under drive pulleys and a lower t-stat.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 PM
syn65

Personally i get between 15 and 19 on the highway(depending on where i'm going, for some odd reason i get better mpg in the us then i do in Sasakatchewan. Go figure). But i'm always on the lookout for something that will help. What are the manuel hubs mod ? and does the t stat really work ?

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

20MPG is obtainable, but not as an average, only on the highway with MDS and the cruise set to 60-65ish. I have pulled off 18.5 with my 05 4x4 Hemi on a 100 mile highway trip.

You are not going to do much better with that 5.9.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you know what speed you intend to get up to
it is actually more efficient for the nearly all engines to
accelerate at 70-85% of full throttle
up to an rpm a few hundred rpm short
of the rpm where maximum torque is generated.

Once you get up to your chosen speed
shift into a gear that keeps you near 70-80% throttle
but at the lowest possible rpm.

But don't skip over the part above that reads:
"If you know what speed you intend to get up to"
because if you choose to go a slower speed
you will get a better mpg.
High cruise speed = Low MPG

There is even a technique used in 'MPG Marathons'
where contestants with manual transmissions
accelerate at 80% throttle up to 45 mph
then coast to 15 mph