3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N Drop in Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: K&N Drop in Air Filter

ORIGINAL: DonG

The only thing a K&N drip in will do for you is remove cash from your wallet and allow more dirt into your engine.
Amen to that brother. An old mechanic once asked me this when I installed one: "How can something that allows more air not allow more dirt?" Good question nobody has ever answered.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duso02

The only thing a K&N drip in will do for you is remove cash from your wallet and allow more dirt into your engine.
Amen to that brother. An old mechanic once asked me this when I installed one: "How can something that allows more air not allow more dirt?" Good question nobody has ever answered.
Being Old and a Mechanic, with a little bit of rocket science under my belt let me answer that for you. And as for the rocket part we don't use paper filters on any of those systems. Unless you count the paper work.

1. K&N filtersprovide a LARGER SURFACEAREA than a stock paper filter, this allows more air flow (so easy a cave man could understand it)

Ok now some other stuff:
1. Most engine wear is caused by particles 10 to 20 microns in size. K&N cotton filters capture all but 2% (maybe better)of these little monsters.

2. The K&N filters we are talking about are made of multi layered Cotton, a material known for its ability to absorb. Question I have here is do you wear Paper underware? What happens to a paper element if it absorbs a lot of moisture or gets wet? Well that could let a mess of alarger than 20 micronsized foreign objects down the throat of your beast.

3. If you follow the instructions on recharging a K&N air filter - no oil will get sucked intoyour airsystem. It will last 10 times longer so better for the environment. My trashcan will have 1 for every 10 of yours. Also a larger dent in Your wallet not to mention the environment.

4.So my Cotton K&N is within 1% of a Paper Fiber filter on filtering. (I find this totally acceptable)

5. What is the % of your Paper Fiber filter vs my K&N on Flow?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Riddla
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Pirata

Cool with me. Believe what you want and I will believe what I want.
500 plus posts in 20 days? [sm=itsok.gif]

Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

HankL... thank you for answering my question on the other post. You seem pretty against any mod out there. What mods, if any, do you run with? Are you an engineer or something, orjust someone that sits in frontof a computertoo often? (Don't take this as an attack... I am honestly curious)

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Riddla
500 plus posts in 20 days? [sm=itsok.gif]
Check the babe thread.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

ORIGINAL: Duso02

Being Old and a Mechanic, with a little bit of rocket science under my belt let me answer that for you. And as for the rocket part we don't use paper filters on any of those systems. Unless you count the paper work.

1. K&N filtersprovide a LARGER SURFACEAREA than a stock paper filter, this allows more air flow (so easy a cave man could understand it)

Ok now some other stuff:
1. Most engine wear is caused by particles 10 to 20 microns in size. K&N cotton filters capture all but 2% (maybe better)of these little monsters.

2. The K&N filters we are talking about are made of multi layered Cotton, a material known for its ability to absorb. Question I have here is do you wear Paper underware? What happens to a paper element if it absorbs a lot of moisture or gets wet? Well that could let a mess of alarger than 20 micronsized foreign objects down the throat of your beast.

3. If you follow the instructions on recharging a K&N air filter - no oil will get sucked intoyour airsystem. It will last 10 times longer so better for the environment. My trashcan will have 1 for every 10 of yours. Also a larger dent in Your wallet not to mention the environment.

4.So my Cotton K&N is within 1% of a Paper Fiber filter on filtering. (I find this totally acceptable)

5. What is the % of your Paper Fiber filter vs my K&N on Flow?

1. How do you figure a larger surface area? A drop-in K&N will have less surface area because the media is thicker, thereby allowing less pleatsto fit in the same space. I don't haveboth here to measure butBMW stock paper has 65 pleats 1.5" deep, K&N 29 pleats .75" deep. Surface area: Stock=8.4 sq ft K&N=1.6 sq ft (Caveman math)

The rest can be disputed by reading Amsoils website or AEM's, they all say their filter is more efficient then K&N's and vice versa. It's like listening to politicians!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

After working with filtration systems for treatment plants and water plants for the last 3 years I went with the AFE system mainly because it has the largest filter I have ever seen in an intake and can filter down to 1 micron. The technology over the past few years since those studies have improved dramatically. And for those of you guys who dont like the oiled filters many companies are coming out with dry reusable dry filters that filter out the same as there oiled counter parts. Just do your research before you add anything to your truck.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

DC Performance told me that the K&N drop in is a very good thing to do to the SRT-10'S.
They work on all VIPER power cars and trucks.They also work on VIPER race cars. They
are small time shop. I would think they know that they are doing. I don't have the drop in, I
have the CAI.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

My bad they are not a small time shop.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

ive actually heard something similarto what he said about k&n's from another mechanic.. however i still have a k&N drop in filter

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Air Filter