3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004 | 10:33 AM
texas dodge
Default RE: Fuel economy

ORIGINAL: hoopdad

Has anyone tried a throttle body spacer or one of Fastman's throttle bodies on an 04 Hemi?

I have an 04 1500 Hemi QC SB with about 7300 miles on it. I switched to the K&N oil filters when I did my first oil change, and this past one I also switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I'm really not seeing any mileage gains from either of these. (should I?) I haven't made any other mods yet. (well, sprayed-on Linex liner, but no perf. mods)

I drive mostly local roads at 45mph (some stop & go), and average about 13.2 mpg. I'm not exactly easy on the gas, though. :-)

My couple of highway trips have gotten me 16 when I did 65. When I pushed that up to 75/80, I got about 14 (but made better time ;-) !)

At the top of a tank of fuel I seem to get better mileage. I don't know if I am truly getting better mileage or if it is simply an inaccuracy in the mpg calculator.

If you put in a K&N drop-in filter, most of the Hemi's have had a drop in horsepower and torque from the drop-ins.

Old 09-17-2004 | 04:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

w/the duals you'll loose mpg, loss of the low end torque.

If your after good gas milage, buy a commuter car. Your driving a truck, trucks are made to haul stuff, not sip gas. Mine gets 13.5 ~14.5 mpg and I have to use premium, see my sig for all the mods, it hauls ***, oops hauls stuff really good. I can't imagin what I'd get if I could keep my foot out of it.

Old 09-17-2004 | 05:48 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

My '03 Hemi Quad 4x4 2500 has given me a best of 13.8, with 13.5 typical. Got mid 12's hauling my R/T to Carlise and back in July. Beats the heck out of me how anyone is approaching 20 with a Hemi Ram! (Could it be my heavy right foot??)

PS- I travelled down and back to Carlisle with a friend who has an '02 Ram 1500 with a 4.7; he was towing his '65 Belvedere, and we got within .1-.2 mpg of each other. He had noticeably less power than I did, however!

Old 09-17-2004 | 06:08 PM
mkantor

I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. I realize I'm driving a truck and if I wanted good fuel mileage I should buy a car but I hate cars. The only reason I posted my findings with the mods done is that at one point I was getting over 14 mpg with a lead foot in town. I do not use my truck to haul stuff. It's a country Cadillac. I just love trucks. Steve, how do you like the Flowmaster 50, and is it a single or dual system. I am actually thinking about going to get that put back on. The Flowmaster 50 has what Flowmaster calls Delta Flow Technology which is suppose to eliminate any resonance. It did have a nice sound. The only thing is that Flowmaster only has a 12 month warranty where most of the others have lifetime. Also, does anybody know how to reset the computer? Somebody told me that since I have done these mods I need to reset the computer so it will acknowledge the changes and make the necessary adjustments.

Old 09-19-2004 | 03:58 AM
drtelco
Professional

I only have 7K on my 04 QC 4X4 Hemi. The best I've gotton on the road has been 18.5 driving at 65 mph. I'm more than happy with that, but still planning other options. I currently have a Volant cool air, and planning on adding a set of JBA ceramic headers and flowmaster. I've heard that changing the torque converter has added up to 2 mpg and better performance. What really impressed me is I'm getting 13 mpg towing my 5,000 boat at 60 mph....which is a lot better than the 7 mpg I was getting with my old (89) 4X4 Suburban.

Old 09-19-2004 | 01:30 PM
flw

I have a related quesiton.

On brand new engines, it used to be that for any engine to "loosen up" to what will be normal levels that you should have at least a few thousand miles.

Is this still true and what are some opinions on 1/2/3/5 thousand miles if you want acurate numbers but don't wish to be constantly testing mpg to see when this "loosen up" seems to occur?

Also any difference between V8's, V6's and I4's?

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:56 AM
Palm
Professional

I see mileage claims for the Hemi that run the gamit from 11 Mpg to 22 Mpg. Some of this could be the difference in drivers, terrain, modifications, and the like.

My Hemi has about 7800 miles on it now and gets about 10.2 Mpg pulling my Gulfstream T.T. at a weight of around 4800 Lbs. I just returned from my Florida home (straightening up after Ivan) and with a pretty good load in the bed it knocked off an even 17 Mpg. This was with about 150 miles of 70 to 75 Mph and about 115 miles of 60 Mph, running the air all the way.

It has hit around 19 to 20 Mpg, unloaded, on the same trip. On the other hand I have heard horror stories about the Hemi mileage, which I attribute to hard driving. I guess it would be possible for some of the Hemi's to be tuned better than others, but I can't see any other reason for the wide differences in mileage reports.

BTW, I owned two Dakotas before the Ram, an 97 and an 02, both with the 5.9L engine, and I never came close to the mileage that I get from my Hemi.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy