3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Security Lug Nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Security Lug Nut

ORIGINAL: moodie

I've only had the RAM for less than a month now and this was the first time undoing the lugs. They were on their tight. I'm 6ft200 Ibs and work out andI definitely had to put my back into it [:@]. Does anyone know the torque rating the lugs are to be tightened to?
This will never fail you, always tighten bolts 1/4 turn before they break. I have thought on hundreds of occasions the breaking point was a 1/4 turn less than Ithought it was. You're a big boy, like me, tighten your lugs tight for you.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM
moodie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get myself a good torque wrench so I know for sure I'm not over or under tightenting. I had one rim that was difficult to remove after all lug nuts were off. What is recommended to put on the back of the rim so it's easier to take off next time.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 AM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's when it's okay to use Anti-seize! I put a little where the wheel makes contact.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

As far as getting your lug off, go with the socket for removing stripped nuts as mentioned earlier. Some of you guys are reporting cracked ones. Lose the OEMs (if that's what they are) and get a nice set of McGards. One thing I've learned with security lugs is to make sure it is the first one you remove and the last one you put on. Always tighten by hand. This makes the remove/install process easier later on. Also, a general rule is to never use an impact on them. Repeated use will eventually crack or strip the "keyed" part of the lug. Antisieze? I've never used it on lugs. I give the hub a squirt of WD40 every time I pull my wheels. It lubes the studs, keeps the hub pretty, keeps the wheel from sticking.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
moodie
Professional

Finally replaced all keyed security lugs with normal ones. I had to take it to a tire shop to get the cracked lug off ... they also had a hard time. Tire guy said to torque them to 115 or 120. I feel better now that if I do get a flat in the middle of nowhere I will be able to change the tire without problems.

Quick Reply: Security Lug Nut