3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Security Lug Nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
moodie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Lug Nut

In the process of putting on my splash guards this weekend I was unable to loosen one of thesecurity lug nuts andmanaged to crackthe lug nut and rounded off the lug nut key. I will have to bring it to the dealer now in hopes that they can remove it. I was so upset I almost turned into the Incredible Hulk Anyways, how many of you have changed the security lug nut for a normal one? Just curious!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Roskeet69
Rookie
Default RE: Security Lug Nut

I've changed all my lugnuts and have a new security lugnut but that is because I got new 24" rims.

I have had the problem you had though at first but I didn't strip it all the way and luckily Discount Wheels was able to take it off!

But anyways, good luck on it bro and don't take out ur frustration on the truck lol [8D]

Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add a dab of grease on the threads when putting the security lug in place next time. I have been on the side of the road many times trying to get a security lug off because I stripped the tool. I have also found on that lug you don't need to tighten it to the point where veins are popping out on your forehead like a map. I will tighten it finger tight and give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and call it a day. I have to add this is the only lug I tighten in such a way. I have broken more than my share of bolts and stripped more threads than I can count because I tend to overtighten things.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
moodie
Professional

I've only had the RAM for less than a month now and this was the first time undoing the lugs. They were on their tight. I'm 6ft200 Ibs and work out andI definitely had to put my back into it [:@]. Does anyone know the torque rating the lugs are to be tightened to?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Tailbuster
Rookie

Pickup trucks usually are 140 ft lbs. Passenger cars these days range from 80-95 ft lbs. Im not sure the exact number for the Ram. I asked a tire shop one day and they looked at me like I was stupid and they have never heard of that.
Basically your standard impact gun will tighten to 90-110 ft lbs I wouldnt go any tighter than that, unless you have a 12 volt impact you carry with you for emergencies.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
derwood
Rookie

I cracked 2 of them the first time I rotated my tires, but lucky for me I was able to get the Dealership to replace them. The Service Dept. blamed the Sales Dept. and I sure as hell wasn't gonna argue.I do believe it's 135 ft. lbs torque but it may differ depending on what wheels you have. Also remember NOT to put anti-seize on your studs. See the post from the Tire Rack.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
kregier
Veteran

I've got one right now that's cracked. It's going to be so much fun getting it off. But I've done it before and had to put it back on because it's hard to drive to the store to buy new ones on 3 tires.

I don't care what anyone says. My opinion is, and always will be, putting anti-seize on is a good thing. People just need to learn when to stop turning, or when to lay off the trigger of their impact. That is of course just my opinion.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
f0x672
Champion

anti sieze is recommended actually, cause if the stud rustes, it will corrode to the lug nut, and normally about 110 ft lbs of torque max, especially aluminum rims, they can crack easily, and impact guns, depending on which one used and what the power output is, one can easily put up to 50 ft lbs of torque up too 300 ft lbs of torque... use a torque wrench to have an ease of mind

Old 05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
djr04
All Star

The 06 ram service manual has the torque spec'd at 130 ft lbs

Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sell a socket that'll remove locking lugs. It has teeth inside that just bite harder as you loosen. So much for protecting your wheels.

Anti-sieze should not be used. Ourmanual actually states that.I used it once and I thought the shop boss was going to kill me!! I told him there was no way the wheel would fall off but he said "That ain't why dumbass" it's because the TQ values were set with dry&clean threads. Adding lube of any kind causes you to actually over-torque the stud. Passed the "safety" margin? Who knows.I just won't put my, or my family's safety at risk.If they are torqued properly, they'll come off easy without any lube. There are some cars that call for it, Porsche I think, because of the wheel material, but then the TQ values are set-up for it.

Quick Reply: Security Lug Nut