3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did anyone buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:57 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did anyone buy?

was in straight lines.. ud be surprised how many people dont. use 2 buckets if your trucks really dirty or if you dont want to take chances. 1 bucket with the soapey water, 1 bucket as a rinse bucket. rinse the rag after scrubbing the truck (few strokes or w/e, rinse, repeat). then polish, before wax. use the meguiars bonnets on a 10" buffer. then wax. just did this to my truck. took an entire afternoon, but my truck is a damn mirror! ith no swirls or anythign

Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

I bought my truck new and the paint was fine. I made the mistake of using the "clear coat safe" brush for a period of time, and boy was I fooled. Now it is only the softness of microfiber for my paint. But unfortunatly the damage is done. About a month ago I did 8+ hours of washing and waxing, all Meguires Deep Crystal products: clay and lube, pre cleaner, two coats of polish, wax... but still had swirl marks. I am looking for a definative cure and not a bandaid that this was. Do I use the scratchX over the whole vehicle? Orbitor? Pappy, did you have swirl marks too and this worked? I see that black paint and I know how much of a bitch that is to keep it looking nice. I didn't think that the flame red would be as bad (my last two trucks were a deep blue and black). But it looks worse then any of them. Honestly, I blame Dodge a bit, seems like real cheap paint. But, I really want this to be my last truck I buy for a long time, too many other toys I want to buy. But I want it too look its best. Thanks for all your help guys, I appreaciate the feedback.
Yeah I got swirlies on the painted part of my bumperfrom trying a million different things to get bugs off my front end. Ras em fras em Bugs!
The cool thing about Liquid Glass is you apply it in a linear motion (not circular) it doesn't melt like wax and the more coats the better.
Any who no more swirlies on me bumper.

Also I had to use an 10" Orbital buffer to get scratches out of my drivers side bed panel right in front of the fuel door. A cat had been jumping up into the bed at night and scratching the **** out of me truck! They didn't go all the way to the metal but you could see and feel them. Cleaned area with 3M stuff (by hand) and used the deep crystal polish (on the buffer)followed by liquid glass (by hand). Had to do this on two different occasions.I now hate cats.It worked both times though.

However if your paint is too jacked up you may be SoL.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old truck and new truck has it. My old truck while I only washed it about 3 times in the entire time I owned it whenever I washed it the finish looked almost like it had been just waxed the way the water beaded up. My dodge has been washed more in the 6 months I have owned it thatg in the 3 years I owned my old truck.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: livetokite

ORIGINAL: Dodgeramman

ORIGINAL: neveuxpr

FFMedic1479...I'm a big fan of Zaino Bros show polish. They have a large variety of polish for your truck and even one that hels with swirls. The condition of your paint does largely depend on how you clean your vehicle and even with the towels you dry with. Try getting 100% cotton made in the U.S. with all fringing cut off. Zaino's website is www.zainobros.com.
Dont dry your truckand dont spray off your truck let the water run from top to bottom out of the hose, let gravity dry it. Dont use cotton use microfiber or terry cloth and use two buckets one for soap and the other to rise your mitt.
that won't leave water spots?
Well some but not as much as spraying it. Try this takealarge glass and use your sink sprayer on it set it aside, take another glass the same size and run water over it from the faucet see which one dries faster. the onethathad water ran over it because it is one water "spot"that pulls itself down.Where as the sprayed one has a lot of little "spots that just sit there. Thats why you get water spots. When I do my truck well didi just traded it in, by the time I was finished washing the second side the first was dry. If there was any water I would puta micro towel on it to soak it up, never wiped it. Sray Detailer after a wash and it shined like a black pearl.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM
livetokite
Veteran

ohh, thats tru.. i may try this... but i still like drying it with a towel.. i'm a perfectionest when it comes to washing my truck.. i love it looking like new.

i get props from everyone on how clean my truck always is.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hey Lovetokite's avatar has an NDG on it. You rule!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

hahahahahahahaha. yeah boy!!! lol. NDG's own us all!!

btw livetokite, whered you get your tonneau. what brand/style is it? and how much was it?? thanks!!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Thanks guys for all the info... I think I will try out that Liquid Glass... Pappy is that the stuff in the metal can at Autozone or is this a special order thing... I wanna say I saw it there.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Yup metal can withan old red corvet on it. Remember very important to remove all wax, then restore the paint with apolish, You might have to Jimmy buff it a little. (Jimmy buffit - Thats funny I don't care who ya are) Then apply the Liquid Glass. (follow the instruction on the Liquid Glass)

Just try it onfender or door as a reference point.

Man I wish I could loan all this stuff to ya we could test it over some grilled out steaks and beers.

Oh one more thing, drink beer ya got to stay hydrated!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:40 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

lol. jimmy biff it. hahahahahahaha. i almost pissed my pants. plus, i had to take a **** just before i read it. hahahahaha. ooh, i have a 40oz. mickeyt's sitting in my fridge and i also have a 12oz.pacifico clara sitting in my fridge too! lol. yay for beer! "mmm... beer. *gagaaagaghhhhhh*"