3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did anyone buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone buy?

Did anyone buy that Simonize or whatever it was called when you bought your truck? This would be that option for a couple grand to make your truck not have to be waxed and offered some sort of paint warrenty (I assume they coated the truck in something). I guess you had to have done it at the time of purchase. Basically I just wanted to know if those who bought it noticed any differance in the condition of their paint. I didn't get it (if I had the money I would have just bought a CTD instead) and am wondering if I screwed myself because of the nasty swirl marks in my paint. I have done everything I can think of to fix it and am coming down to repainting. I like to think I have a nice truck, but it looks like crap when the light hits it... sad that a cheap paint job comes on such fine trucks. And would having someone wet sand (I don't think I am brave enough to attempt this on my own) make it all better? Wouldn't this simply remove the clear coat and now the paint is more exposed then before, or do they typically respray a clear when they are done? Any other ideas on swirl marks, please let me know. I have been to the guide to detailing, and either I didn't do what they instructed or my paint is just beyond repair. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker
Default RE: Did anyone buy?

I got it but I wax my truck anyways so I probably just wasted my money but I also had the interior done and that has saved my big. As far as the swirls how do you wash it, do you use a brush. If so BAD IDEA it's a dark color. You dont need to wet sand it try some Meguiares ScratchX it should do the trick.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
NJMandCEM
Professional

The only "Simonize" i ever heard of was in the stores.... or on TV ...Never saw it as a dealer option... i think they are full of bull dung... Maybe somone else has a different opinion.. but i don't see it being worth more then 100 bucks..... You did'nt buy a brand new truck with swirl marks did you?,, anyways... the paint is warrentied in some aspects... But i'd expect swirl marks if the vehicle was used... and the owner did'nt take care of it right... I have an 05 1500 for over 2 years.. and never had swirl marks.....

Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi FFmedic1479,

Try this on one of your fenders to see if it works:
1. Remove wax (I used 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover)
2. Use a Polish (I used Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish)
3. Apply Liquid Glass (I stopped using wax because it just melts away in a few days here in the FL sun)

If you were close by I'd let you borrow all this stuff to test it on your fender. Liquid Glass is expensive.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I bought my truck new and the paint was fine. I made the mistake of using the "clear coat safe" brush for a period of time, and boy was I fooled. Now it is only the softness of microfiber for my paint. But unfortunatly the damage is done. About a month ago I did 8+ hours of washing and waxing, all Meguires Deep Crystal products: clay and lube, pre cleaner, two coats of polish, wax... but still had swirl marks. I am looking for a definative cure and not a bandaid that this was. Do I use the scratchX over the whole vehicle? Orbitor? Pappy, did you have swirl marks too and this worked? I see that black paint and I know how much of a bitch that is to keep it looking nice. I didn't think that the flame red would be as bad (my last two trucks were a deep blue and black). But it looks worse then any of them. Honestly, I blame Dodge a bit, seems like real cheap paint. But, I really want this to be my last truck I buy for a long time, too many other toys I want to buy. But I want it too look its best. Thanks for all your help guys, I appreaciate the feedback.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 AM
neveuxpr
Amateur

FFMedic1479...I'm a big fan of Zaino Bros show polish. They have a large variety of polish for your truck and even one that hels with swirls. The condition of your paint does largely depend on how you clean your vehicle and even with the towels you dry with. Try getting 100% cotton made in the U.S. with all fringing cut off. Zaino's website is www.zainobros.com.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: neveuxpr

FFMedic1479...I'm a big fan of Zaino Bros show polish. They have a large variety of polish for your truck and even one that hels with swirls. The condition of your paint does largely depend on how you clean your vehicle and even with the towels you dry with. Try getting 100% cotton made in the U.S. with all fringing cut off. Zaino's website is www.zainobros.com.
Dont dry your truckand dont spray off your truck let the water run from top to bottom out of the hose, let gravity dry it. Dont use cotton use microfiber or terry cloth and use two buckets one for soap and the other to rise your mitt.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

oops double posted my bad

Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 AM
livetokite
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Dodgeramman

ORIGINAL: neveuxpr

Dont dry your truckand dont spray off your truck let the water run from top to bottom out of the hose, let gravity dry it. Dont use cotton use microfiber or terry cloth and use two buckets one for soap and the other to rise your mitt.
that won't leave water spots?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I usually let it dry and go over it with detailing mist and a clean microfiber towel. Like I said, my past actions screwed my paint. Now I have learned from my ways