3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Receiver Ball Drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
moodie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Ball Drop

I need to purchase a receiver ball hitch and am trying to figure out the drop I require. The following instructions are what I'm going by.

Step 1: Measure from the ground to the top of the hitch.
Step 2: Level trailer, then measure from the ground to the top of the trailer coupler.
Step 3: Subtract the height of the hitch ball (most are 2-1/2" to 3" high) from Step 2.
Step 4: The difference between Step 1 and Step 3 would be the "Drop" or "Rise" that is needed for your Towing System.

I measured the hitch hight at 21.5" and the trailer coupling at 17-3/4". Using a 3" hitch ball my drop should be 6-3/4" ... that seems like alot. What are you using? I usually see a 2" drop as most common. I also think I should take into account the drop that happend when you actually hitch the trailer on. The trailer will cause the back end to drop so should this not be taken into account?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
HuskyJazz
Professional
Default RE: Receiver Ball Drop

I had a 2" on my 98 Ram. It was alright but it seemed like the trailers I pullled were not level. The front was a little high. I think the next step is a 4". I'm pretty sure that is what I have now. My 06 sits higher then my 98, but the 4" with my boat or utility trailer works pretty good. However there have been times that the hitch hit something, but that is usually going over a curb or up/down a steep drive. While normal driving the 4" make my trailers pretty level.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
kregier
Veteran

Mine's a 3" or 4", can't recall which. Those steps don't quite make sense, but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee today. The height of the ball is pretty immaterial. You also have to take into account that when you mount the receiver to the frame, the ball will already be 3"+ lower.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
djr04
All Star

Also you need to factor in how much weight you will be putting on that hitch. More weight will lead to some sagging in the rear, which lowers the rear end. If you're willing to spend the cash, you can't go wrong with a nice adjustable drop hitch.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

i use 3 1/4" drop

Old 05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
moodie
Professional

Our company truck has a 2" drop receiver so I think I will try that one and see how much the rear of the truck sags when I attache the trailer. The instructions I posted come directly from the Reese hitch web site.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Save yourself the money, especially if you pull a variety of differant trailers, and get an adjustable drop hitch. Most are a pain in the *** to adjust, but it will save you from having to run to the store and buy a differant length drop hitch everytime you tow something differant.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
moodie
Professional

An adjustable one would be the best way. Anyone have one that they recommend and is easy to adjust?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
reindeerman
Rookie

Moodie,

The formula you are using is correct. You will need to allow for the weight of the trailer tongue on the hitch. Don’t know what type of trailer you have in mind and what the tongue weight will be? A tandem axle will need to be real close on hitch height. Single axles have a little more “give”.

Your TRX probably sits a little higher to start with. I would suggest that you get a buddy (or two depending on the weight needed) to sit on the tailgate and then measure as you have before. This will get you in the ball park.

The adjustable drop receivers are a good choice. Make sure they meet the weight rating needed for you gross trailer weight (loaded).

You may have to purchase two and experiment. Hitch ***** are also available in different “rise” specifications.

I have three drop hitch ball mounts (two are adjustable for weight distribution set up) that work for me with two different trucks and two different trailers. Luckily I didn’t need four.

If you are going to use a weight distribution hitch every thing changes and there is a different formula.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Rapid Hitch.
Do a google for the company/suppliers.
I recently bought an 8" adjustable one whilst on holiday from the UK in Florida.
They are made from a single piece of polished billet Aluminium (Aluminum to you guys in the USA ha ha ha) and look the business.
They also have two different size ball mounts fitted, so you can tow two different size hitches.
I think they are 2" and 2 7/8".
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: Receiver Ball Drop