3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Showing my ignorance

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
norcal_fisherman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showing my ignorance

As I said in my last post I'm new to owning a Dodge, and actually new to modifying any vehicle, but I can't help myself. I have read a lot of posts on the forum and have noticed a lot of people have a SuperChips Flashpaq. What is this? What are the pros and cons of having one on my truck.
I have an 06 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Tomorrow a Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust will be installed with twin pipes out the rear. Please inform an ignorant man wanting to have the best truck in town.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Default RE: Showing my ignorance

From my limited understanding of these performance chips, they are a good thing to have. Just wish one was available for my truck.[&o]

Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

It has different settings for your truck, you can adjust it to be better for performance or towing, it can read engine codes, reset for different tire sizes, change shift points, pretty cool little device.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super chips, and others are essentially a means by which you can modify the factory program that is installed in your computer that controls the engine dynamics---an application modifier if you will. By plugging the superchips programmer into the diagnostic port on your truck, it allows you to make minor mods, and it gives you choices of what performance mods they loaded into the programmer. As you may or may not be aware, the potential of the 5.7 is much higher than what it is actually being used for, and DC loaded a relatively conservative program into these.Generally, the apps that the programmers load will not allow you to destroy your truck, so long as you don't continually abuse it. With the new exhaust--you will no doubt notice a more than subtle difference in its performance, and believe it or not, better gas mileage. I don't personally have on mine at this point, but from all the talk and results posted here on the forum, it seems like a mod you won't regret.

Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply: Showing my ignorance