3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Cold Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Hemi_Strength
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Cold Air intake

I've installed a new Mopar Cold Air Intake on my 2006 QC Ram 1500 Big Horn. I've reset thePCM and I seem to get a sputter every now and then sounding like it's coming out of the filter cone. Doesn't happen all the time and the performance doesn't seem to be affected by it. Just doesn't sound right. I do get the extra deep sound upon flooring it so everything seems to be working except the every now and then sputter out of the cone. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening and how to resolve it?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
djr04
All Star
Default RE: Mopar Cold Air intake

Does the sputter occur at the same time mds seems to be kicking in? I have heard of people noticing the sound of mds kicking in through their CAI.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Hemi_Strength

Wow! We have the same truck. Same color also, I just don't have the side steps.
Can you tell me what mds stands for?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Hemi_Strength

How did your Super Chips work out? That's next on my list to try out?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM
djr04
All Star

I love the superchips, better overall performance and better fuel mileage if you drive conservatively.
The 06-07 hemis have MDS (multi displacement system). When the computer detects a small enough load on the engine, it will deactivate 4 cylinders, which results in better fuel economy. MDS usually only kicks in around 25-70 mph, most of the time while using cruise. For example, at 70 mph with cruise on I can get 20 mpg if it isn't too hilly or windy. When you look for a superchips try to find one used online. It's usually 400 bucks or more, and I got mine from another forum member for 200 bucks.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Hemi_Strength

That could be it because it does seem to happen when I'm traveling at a consistent speed. I wonder if the Super Chips would help that? Thanks for the information on getting hold of Super Chips cheaper than the $449.00 everyone seems to be asking.

Quick Reply: Mopar Cold Air intake