3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anti Spin- How Important ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anti Spin- How Important ??

i reccomend the limited slip!! it is a great option when you need it YOU NEED IT really.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

I didn't even know new 4X4's came without LSD's..that really suprises me. Is there any reason for this other than to save a few bucks for the factory

Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

I totaly agree with the others, either find one you can confirm has LSD (I think they call it "anti-spin" on the sticker) or ask the dealer to install. Alternatively, you could have an aftermarket LSD installed as well....I've had a truck (2K Dakota) that didn't have it and driving in snow and mud / wet roads sucked! Now with the Ram I've got LSD and will never buy another truck that doesn't have it agian...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 AM
motorider228
Champion

Smartest thing to do is get the truck without the limited slip then have an aftermarket Auburn limited slip installed. The stock ones get the job done but are known to break C-clips and destroy your rear end. The Auburn is a far superior limited slip. I have the Auburn in mine and it is the best mod I have done by far. Pretty sure Hammer has one too,never heard any negative remarks about them.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
topcop38
Professional

when i was looking to buy a truck i found one i really liked. then i saw it didn't have LSD. forget that truck. i won't buy one without it.

BTW-this thread was 3 years old

Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorider228

Smartest thing to do is get the truck without the limited slip then have an aftermarket Auburn limited slip installed. The stock ones get the job done but are known to break C-clips and destroy your rear end. The Auburn is a far superior limited slip. I have the Auburn in mine and it is the best mod I have done by far. Pretty sure Hammer has one too,never heard any negative remarks about them.
He's looking at 2500's. The dreaded "C-CLIP" issue only raises it's ugly head on our 1500's. The aftermarket ones are still better units though.

As far as LSD, I'm told it all depends on the dealer. They have to order it on their builds. In Florida, they are like finding the proverbial "needle in a haystack". I went to 3 dealers w/o finding a truck with LSD back in '04 when I got mine. Tried to get them to throw in LSD, skid plates & tow hooks before I bought. I could only negotiate the skids & hooks though - GOD was watching over me that day.
By contrast,the dealer up in Ga. where I used to live (and still have the farmland) won't take a new truck on the lot w/o LSD, nor will he doa dealer swap unless the one he's getting has LSD. You want a truck w/o it, you sign a waiver and he'll order it. My kinda guy!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

I've got a 4x4 1500 without LSD and I've never had a problem. I've launched my boat on slippery ramps, driven in ice, snow, sand and mud without ever getting stuck. I'm not sure though how the added weight of the Cummins will affect the need for LSD though. If you drive in some tough offroad or hilly conditions (or like to drag race) then you want LSD.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have driven many different 4x4 trucks in different conditions including deep snow and mud. I have launched boats on dozens of different kinds of boat ramps. Don't worry about not having alimited slip rear axle. If you're not doing serious off-roading you're never going to get stuck.

As the other guys mentioned you can always add a LSD or locker, depending on which differential you have. Since this truck has the Cummins engine it shouldhave the big AAM 11.5" diff, and you can add a Yukon gear driven LSD, which I think is the same one that Dodge uses at the factory. They are about $700, not including installation.Nobody seems to make anaftermarket LSD or locker for the AAM 11.5 yet.

Quick Reply: Anti Spin- How Important ??