3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question on Superchips for 03 models

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:29 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on Superchips for 03 models

I realize that by picking an 03 instead of an 04+ model, I'm unable to use the FlashPaq and I'm stuck with the Max MicroTuner. I don't mind the MMT as I used one on my Grand Marquis LSE (laugh; it ran 9.9 @ 73 in the 1/8th with an open diff) and really liked the results.

I knew this limitation before buying the truck. It doesn't change my mind one bit -- it's in perfect condition and the price was right. I've owned it about 24 hours now and still love it

Anyway, my question has to do with the rev limiter. The MMT says it can raise the rev limiter, but what can that affect since it can't control the shift points? I've seen that the Hemi really loves the revs -- I just wish I could get a few more out of it for my particular model.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on Superchips for 03 models

Hi John M,

Welcome to the Forums. Transformers rule!

What are the specs on your truck?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
deanj287
Captain

i went through the same head scrather a few months back when i got my 03 hemi. it will firm up the shifts but not change them. the rev limiter is just for burn outs ( i had to ask the guy twice what good raising a rev limiter does on an auto with out changing the shift points) or something that is of no help on the road. id spend the money on a shift kit, cut the tcm wire (free mod) and get the 6.1L cam. should cost like any where form $250--$400 max once done as long as you do the work. You'll strentghen the vlave train, gain 30 WHP and also strengthen the valve body in the tranny.

03 dont like to rev with the crappy stock valve springs. They break under added rpms and lift from more aggresive cams. Im actually pulling my engine apart tommorrow to do my cam and spring swap. Im at 70,000 miles and im pulling the heads and all gaskets i can get too. kinda freshin things up with an added 25-30 hp or so. plus im tossing the ****ty stock valve springs.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 AM
John M
Record Breaker

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go the 6.1 cam route later on. I already read that I'd want to do the springs at the same time. I don't have the time or skills to do it myself but I know a shop with some hardcore Mopar guys who'll help me with it. Same goes with the shift kit - not right away but down the road I'll get them to do it for me.

To start with I'll do the easy stuff like the SC programmer. I can always sell it when it's not needed anymore. Besides, using it to firm up the shifts combined with cutting the torque management wire (if Superchips doesn't disable it 100%) should make for a nice improvement. The extra power is always appreciated - I'm not afraid to pay for premium even at 10 mpg

Pappy_FB -it's basically a QC 4x4 Laramie with every possible option except the CD changer. It's solid white with black leather interior and the wheels look to be polished aluminum rather than chrome. I'll add a pic to my sig once I get a chance to take one. I've been too busy driving it to take any! I don't know if 3.92s are standard on the QC but I've got 'em, along with the anti-spin diff and tow package.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the price of gas up here, I had to set it back to the 87. I hate CT!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 AM
deanj287
Captain

ya 3.92 and the tow package along with the anti slip is on big option lol. like i said im doing the cam tommorrow and planing on taking pics every 30 seconds lol. ill post them all and how i did it (ive talked to a dozen guys that have doen this and have it down to a 4-6 hour job so i think i have got an upper hand with the short cuts and what to avoid etc) for you guys. im stocked though and can hardly sleep!! ive got a few guys swinging by through out the day and if any body in the dallas erea wants to see what the hemi looks like naked come on by. oh and there will be plenty of beer and yager so any ones welcome lol

Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 AM
djr04
All Star

Great idea to document it. It will be a great tool for everyone else thinking of installing a new cam if you can post a how to. Looking forward to hearing the results. Wish I could take you up on the open invite, I'd love to help out but I live all the way across the country.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
John M
Record Breaker

Digging this one up again for a related question:

The documentation for the SC MMT says basically that it increases shift firmness to the Superchips level and that it isn't adjustable by the user. That's fine with me - I'll take what I can get. What I'm wondering is does it really do anything for shift firmness / line pressure? Some other posts on here say it doesn't do squat in that area for 03 models. Yes, I'm guilty of searching & reading to rather than reposting. When I started the online car club thing more than 13 years ago, everybody did that [8D]

My tuner arrives on Friday!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

i have an 03 with sc. felt like it changed my shift firmness and i only set it on performance towing not ***** to the wall

Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
MeTaL
Rookie

Hey guys, newbie here, I bought an '03 1500 about 2 months ago and have been lookin at the Superchip Tuners for a few weeks now. I work at Napa Auto Parts and was lookin thru our performance book one day and saw that we can order them The only prob is that it lists the Flashpaq for '03-UP, doesnt even mention the MMT one. Has anybody tried the Flashpaq on an '03? And would I be wasting my time ordering it to test?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Question on Superchips for 03 models