3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to tap in for Brake controller Brake wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:38 PM
sallyman1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to tap in for Brake controller Brake wire?

I have a 2004 2500 CTD ram quad cab. Its previous owner had a brake controller hooked up because i can see the 2 mounting screws left behind under dash. I know how to hook it up except for the fact of where to tie in the red wire. Blue goes to plug at back(bumper), White to ground, Black to Positive + and where to tap red wire into? On my dodge all there is by the brake switch is a connector with like 5or6 lil wires coming out.Which 1 do i tap into and where would previous owner tap into because I see no tape or connectors of such? Does dodge have a special plug to tie into for brake controllers? any1 with info it would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Worldtravelers5
Default RE: Where to tap in for Brake controller Brake wire?

Sallyman,
I JUST got done installng a wiring kit on my 05 1500, and I used a Tekonsha wiring harness to mate up with my factory plug. However, the factory wire that controlled the brake didn't run all the way to the back, so I had to install the factory kit. But what was cool is the blue factory plug under the dash, just to the left of the brake pedal had the three other wires ready to go when I connected up (12+, ground, and switched hot).
From the Tekonsha website, I pulled down the wiring codes:
New Dodge (Green Wire)
White w/ Red Tracer Black +12 Volts
Blue w/ White Tracer Red Stoplight
Green w/ Black Tracer White Ground
Blue Blue Trailer Brakes
Dodge
Red w/ Black Tracer Black +12 Volts
White w/ Tan Tracer Red Stoplight
Black White Ground
Blue Blue Trailer Brakes

http://www.tekonsha.com/bch3020.htmlis the model for the Dodge

Here's a link to the photos of my wiring connector, http://picasaweb.google.com/worldtra...mWiringHarnessbefore I added the Tekonsha adapter. I'm running a Primus model controller--awesome!

I didn't take a photo of the connector after I installed it, but where the blue wire on the Tekonsha harness connects to the Dodge harness, I split off and connected direct to the fresh blue wire I installed.

If this is confusing, let me know and I'll get out tomorrow and grab a picture under the dash.

Good luck,
Scott

PS, if you search the forum, you'll find another post where I listed all the wiring pin outs at the back of the truck (if you need it).

Old 07-11-2023, 02:20 PM
dbartho1

There is no white and tan wire on my connector - here are the colors: green/white, tan/black, purple/yellow, white/purple, white/blue, and grey/red.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Originally Posted by dbartho1
There is no white and tan wire on my connector - here are the colors: green/white, tan/black, purple/yellow, white/purple, white/blue, and grey/red.
This thread is 16 years old. It's old enough to drive itself..... Please start a NEW thread, tell us what you are driving, what the problem is, and anything you have done so far to address it.....

There *should* be connector under the dash for a brake controller.... depending, of course, on just what it is you are driving.

Quick Reply: Where to tap in for Brake controller Brake wire?