3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

20% restocking fees

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20% restocking fees

I just spent 2 hours hacking off my old exhaust with a sawzall only to find out that the Gibson cat-back exhaust that is supposed to be made for my truck DOES NOT FIT! My truck has 2 cat converters that join with Y pipe and then go out into the exhaust. The head pipe that joins the Y pipe to the muffler is roughly 24 inches long. The one Gibson sent in their "bolt-on" kit is only about 12 inches long. So I call Gibson and speak with Craig and he tells me that this is the kit for my year, make, and model and that everything should bolt right up. I tell him that it doesn't and that I want to send it back. He says that there will be a 20% restocking fee (a little more than $100) becuase that is the part that their research says fits. But if the find that I am right and it doesn't fit, they will waive the 20%. My question is how the hell am I supposed to prove to them that it doesn't fit? They are in CA and I'm in PA. It ain't like I can just drive over there so they can try to fit it up. So I guess I have to go and mock it up and take photos showing them how short the pipes are falling. Then I have to go get a new system put in because as cool as it sounds, I'm not driving around without a muffler and pipes.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: 20% restocking fees

haha that sucks. Alot of shops have a restocking fee like that. Just lay everything out and take a TON of pictures to try to show everything. Hope it all works out for you!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just go and buy the pipe at an autoparts store. Cheaper and easier. On top of the restocking fee, they will problably make you pay the freight charges back to them as well.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
NJMandCEM
Professional

I think L and R is right... Just go get a piece of pipe.... I'm sure there is a Auto Part/ Muffler shop somewhere... It'll be a lot cheaper and faster then waiting for it to ship...

Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I thought about the local muffler shop or parts store for a longer pipe, but I want to see what Gibson comes up with. Everything else falls into place, it's just this damn head pipe. You can see that it's just about 16" short of a perfect fit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63182/D5A404075F7A4BF690DAFFACBC958490.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, a new pipe made locallywould fix it quick and cheap. I'd still try to work something out with Gibson though because it could be something as simple as they sent you the wrong kit. Does Gibson have dealers? Say, a muffler shop/performance shop that sells/installs Gibson. If you can find one of those locally, maybe they can shed some light on Gibson for you.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Seeing if there is a dealer local is a good idea too. But the hassles and pain you can endure trying to get something taken care of would be easier handled if you bought a $10 pipe to put into place.

Now if you are building a show truck, then by all means, carry on with your complaint as everyone will see the underside of your truck all the time.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

It's been a couple of hours since I spoke with Craig at Gibson. Guess he hasn't found the answer yet. As far as local dealers go around here, there are none. If there's a longer head pipe they can send me, I can wait (my work provides me with a vehicle), otherwise I will probably drag it over to a local shop and ask them to fit it in.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

There is an issue with me just getting a longer pipe from the auto parts place. The head pipe has a slight offset so it tucks the muffler up under the bed. I'll need to have a shop bend me a piece anyway, so why not just let them put it in for me.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

You can do that too. I was just thinking of getting the 16 in pipe you need to connect the 2 pieces.

Quick Reply: 20% restocking fees