3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some help on my dvd stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need some help on my dvd stereo

well if you bought the truck you put whatever you want in it. The install (if its similar to a standard cd player) should be really easy. Just get it started and we can help you along the way if need be.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

You will have no problems. I have been installing stereo systems, scanners, mobil radios (for FD's and EMS companies), emergency lighting, etc since I was a little younger then you. A lot of trial and error. Stereos are easy, especially with the harnesses. Don't waste your hard earned money (I like to hear it when people work for what they get, so props on buying the truck yourself... my mom would be the same way, well, she still is, I just tell her it is my truck and I will do what I please with it... then she will usually ask me to fix something on her car). Besides, I have had too many friends go through Tweeter or Best Buy and have a hack job done to their ride... then I end up fixing them. Costs more in the long run. You will be fine, solder your connections and tape them well, take your time and follow the directions, and you will be fine. Like HansonHVAC said, come back here if you have any problems. And save your money and learn how to back up without hitting anything using your mirrors... instead buy that PS2 or 3 like JimmyDaleo said.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 AM
austin
Veteran

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acces...essory.do#tabs

look at the "required for installation", and "want you will want"... what do i really want or need to install it???

Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

im not seeing the required for installation. DEFINATELY get that wiring harness. You'll also want a box of "butt connectors" ( i prefer these over wire nuts to keep the wires straightbut nuts will work). Then match the colors on the back of that Jensen unit to the color of the wires on the harness. Connect them with your butt connectors, and tape over the butt connector onto the wire a lil bit covering the whole connector. This will hold the wire in the connector and keep moisture and dirt from getting in there. You can wire this up in your bedroom if you want. You'll probably have to buy an antenna adapter also i ahd to for my cd player. You can get a universal one at wal-mart for under $10. Then plug that wiring harness into the one you pulled from your old radio and hook the antenna up. You should be good to go.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:16 AM
austin
Veteran
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 AM
austin
Veteran

anyone?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

for the wiring harness get the
Metra Wiring Harness for Jensen In-Dash Players (JN1680)
its the second link. And for the antenna adapter you need
Metra Chrysler Antenna Adapter (40-CR10)
also the second link.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Use solder... you will thank yourself in the long run... I have used the butt connectors with success in the past, but I have had them come loose even with proper crimping and tape. That, and I think it is just a cleaner job. To solder properly takes practice, but it isn't rocket science. Let your soldering gun get up to temp, put a little dab of solder on the tip and directly place it where the two wires that you are joiningare twisted together (make sure you cut back enough of the insulation that you are not melting it in the process, probably around 3/4" on both sides). Then from the top of the wires, place your solder onto the wires, letting it "infuse" into the wires. There shouldn't be a whole lot of flux or discolored solder, it should be shiney and smooth along the wires. Then wrap the whole thing in a layer of electrical tape. It actually doesn't take much longer then the butt connectors, and there isn't all that extra plastic bulk behind your radio that you will have to mash and manipulate to get the head unit in.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 AM
HEMI21

Hey bro, I work at Circuit City Roadshop (car audio), and if you want to have a quick and easy install you will need the Metra harness for your vehicle and the one for the Jensen radio. You will also need the antenna adapter, andthe custom vehicle kit.Now you know that you wont be able to watchyour videoswhile your driving, unless you know the grounding sequence and the by-pass code you need to enter at the time of the installation.

Good luck,

Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
austin
Veteran

Why do I need both wiring harness?? Also I was told all I have to do is gound the wire to the frame. What would be the bypass code for that head unit? Thank you very much btw guys!

Quick Reply: need some help on my dvd stereo