3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some help on my dvd stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 AM
THUGLUVC.A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need some help on my dvd stereo

OK IVE INSTALED EVERY THING IN MY RAM 02
I JUST CANT FIND DAT DAM E BRAKE WIRE DUS ANY ONE KNOW WERE ITS AT? OR WAT COLOR IT IS

Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

Use solder... you will thank yourself in the long run... I have used the butt connectors with success in the past, but I have had them come loose even with proper crimping and tape. That, and I think it is just a cleaner job. To solder properly takes practice, but it isn't rocket science. Let your soldering gun get up to temp, put a little dab of solder on the tip and directly place it where the two wires that you are joiningare twisted together (make sure you cut back enough of the insulation that you are not melting it in the process, probably around 3/4" on both sides). Then from the top of the wires, place your solder onto the wires, letting it "infuse" into the wires. There shouldn't be a whole lot of flux or discolored solder, it should be shiney and smooth along the wires. Then wrap the whole thing in a layer of electrical tape. It actually doesn't take much longer then the butt connectors, and there isn't all that extra plastic bulk behind your radio that you will have to mash and manipulate to get the head unit in.
soldering is the best way to go and i would never advise against it. The only reason i havent done it on my stereo is every time i solder somthing it seems like i don't have enough hands. But it does give a great connection. I've never had problems with a butt connector and electrical tape though.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

Use solder... you will thank yourself in the long run... I have used the butt connectors with success in the past, but I have had them come loose even with proper crimping and tape. That, and I think it is just a cleaner job. To solder properly takes practice, but it isn't rocket science. Let your soldering gun get up to temp, put a little dab of solder on the tip and directly place it where the two wires that you are joiningare twisted together (make sure you cut back enough of the insulation that you are not melting it in the process, probably around 3/4" on both sides). Then from the top of the wires, place your solder onto the wires, letting it "infuse" into the wires. There shouldn't be a whole lot of flux or discolored solder, it should be shiney and smooth along the wires. Then wrap the whole thing in a layer of electrical tape. It actually doesn't take much longer then the butt connectors, and there isn't all that extra plastic bulk behind your radio that you will have to mash and manipulate to get the head unit in.
soldering is the best way to go and i would never advise against it. The only reason i havent done it on my stereo is every time i solder somthing it seems like i don't have enough hands. But it does give a great connection. I've never had problems with a butt connector and electrical tape though.
I know exactly what you mean... I have always used a harness adapter when installing a head unit, so you can do it sitting at your kitchen table... it gets more difficult when wiring in the truck. That and I would get nervous having the hot soldering gun around all of that plastic and cloth in the interior of the truck.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 AM
austin
Veteran

So why would I need both harnesses? By the way with the harnes do you still have to strip and solder, or is it really "plug and play"??
Thank you guys!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

I don't understand why you would need both harnesses? that doesnt even make sense? theres only ONE plug behind the radio. On the harness and your new radio you need to strip back the wiring and connect them to each other. Then you plug the harness you bought into the one that was connected to your factory radio

Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Yeah, not too sure about the two differant harnesses. You should just need the adapter harness for your year and model truck... on the bag that the harness comes in has the color code for the wires (such as right rear negative is black with yellow stripe... I don't know if that is true, just an example), then you take your head unit out of the box, take the harness that comes with that head unit, and open the directions, the directions will tell you (might be marked on the wires too) the color codes for the aftermarket head unit harness (such as right rear negaitive is violet with green stripe)... all you have to do is match up the correct wires, stripping back the wire if you have to (many come pre-cut) and then you solder the two harnesses together. After it is all soldered and taped, then it is just a matter of plugging in the harness.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

usually the harnesses come in the same colors as the back of the radio so its not confusing. Everyone i've ever done has anyway. And for right rear speaker, i believe its purple lol

Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I think you are right, it probably is purple come to think of it. I have run into a couple harnesses in some of my older trucks and other cars that I have done installs on that didn't match with the aftermarket head unit. Either way it is a matter of making sure you match up the correct wires.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 PM
fannitti
Professional

i have the exact same tv u want to put in ur truck the jensen and it so easy to put in. get if off ebay its only 334$ a lot cheaper then 600$

Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 AM
austin
Veteran

hey did you install it yourself then? or with some help?

also, since you own it, how do you like it??

Quick Reply: need some help on my dvd stereo