3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

putting in new radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:42 AM
repsol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting in new radio

i tried to put in a mp3 player in my 04 qc hemi with infinaty system. i connected all the wire (speaker, power...etc) correctly, but there is no sound. the new mp3 player will play but no sound.

then i check the harness and found that on the aftermarket harness side some speaker wire (according the the instruction manual) really connect to nothing at the stock side!!
wtf this is the only harness that is availabe from crutchfield for my car.

also i have check this forum most people do not have a problem.

does anyone have any idea, or does the big horn edition require a different wire harness

attached is the pic of the oe and aftermarket harness, note some of the white wire (which are the front speaker wire connect to nothing at oe side. also the diagram on the stock unit doesnt match the oe wiring...

can someone help??

Old 09-19-2004, 02:00 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: putting in new radio

I think that the problem is that the infinity system uses an outboard amp (usually behind the glovebox). I tried to put a speaker level to line level converter on my system. I did it right on the harness right on the back the radio. Figured out that the speaker wires are already at line level. I had to move the converter to the rear speakers, then everything was fine. I was thinking that if I was putting in a new deck, to try connecting the harness wires on the plug that goes on the radio to the RCA jacks of the new radio. Granted you will need a radio with 2 sets of RCAs for front/rear. Just a theory, hope it helps.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:10 AM
GhostRider3387
Rookie

Did you connect the power anttena wire from your new deck to the remote wire for the infinity amp ? If not then there wouldn't be any sound because the amp isn't on.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:20 AM
repsol

yes i did try to use the power control wire from the new radio to connect to the the 2 unknow pin area at the oe harness and still nothing works.

i am think there are multiple problems here, 1 is like you say the power trigger to the amp and also the speaker wire. man i am so frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS SUCKS...

Old 09-20-2004, 10:03 AM
cwoods
Rookie

If all else fails.....have it installed. Most places will do it for $50 + adapter

Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 PM
repsol

yeah, this is what i am planning to do - take it to either best buy or frys and have them install it for me. but i do not know how they could figure it out, since the truck wiring is really weird. I just hope that they have already worked on this kind of truck and situation before and would not fry something.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM
cwoods
Rookie

My guess is that you bought the wrong adapter. The infinity system must have a different one. I took my stock radio out (not infinity) ..and put in another radio...works great. I remember seeing somewhere a different adapter to hook up an infinity radio...into my truck (non-infinity system).

Old 09-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Have you tried calling Crutchfield tech support? Maybe they messed up and gave you the wrong harness or know what one you need for your app.

Quick Reply: putting in new radio