3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:09 AM
tacoma200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge transmissions

[align=left]I just bought my first Dodge truck so I don't know much about them. Its a 04 1500 with 20" wheels and a 5.7 Hemi. I have read quite a few post about transmission failures on some models. I do tow a trailer and have the tow package. So I guess I'm wondering if these problems are on other models or should I be concerned about the transmission. Which transmission would I have and is it a reliable one. I love the truck so far but I've always driven Chevy's in the past. I love the power of the hemi and it just seems like a well built truck all around just wondering about the transmissions. I'm just got it, read a several web sites with owners complaining about rebuilding transmissions 1 or 2 times and it concerns me. I'm new to this site so any information would be helpful. Thanks.
[/align]

Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM
livetokite
Veteran
Default RE: Dodge transmissions

very nice looking truck, and welcome to DF[sm=welcomesign.gif]

sorry i do not know much about this problem, i do know that is one of the weak points of dodge though.

i'm sure someone will chime in with some more knowlage about this.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
motorider228
Champion

My 06 puked up a tranny at 6,000 miles. I blame modding it with a pcm programmer mainly but also at me putting my foot through the floor a few times on the free way.

If you are towing turn O/D off and you will be fine, also, stock, the tranny is fine. When you start modding and adding power is when the transmission starts to fail.

The absolute WORST thing for our transmissions is sticking your foot to the ground going faster than about 30 miles per hour but with stock power you have no need to worry. I converted my truck back to stock after the burned tranny so I got rid of my superchips and my intake (still have exhaust) and I have done freeway slams tons of times and the tranny has not skipped a beat since so I think you will be fine until you start modding. On dodgetruckworld.com there are TONS of guys who have lost trannys but they are all mainly heavily modded. Don't worry about it too much, you will probably be fine if you are not trying to make your truck a race truck.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Your truck has 545RFE transmission, Your transmission holds ups much better than the early transmissions. You have two transmission filters and no bands to adjust. The only things you needto watch for one the o-ring for the filter and ck the bolts/ screws on theside plate of the valve body. They do come loose and break the heads of the screws.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:35 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

welcome to the forum... very nice truck too! Some tranny's are shi*t right out the door. Knock on wood ive never had a problem with either of mine, but i also don't abuse it and keep a good regular maintenance schedule with it.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Isn't that the reason they came out with that 7yr, 70000 mile powertrain warrenty, to make up for the bad press on the trannies? And they got rid of that in 06. I know I never have had a problem, and I am probably rougher on it then I should be. But then again, I have the warrenty so I don't worry about it too much.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorider228

My 06 puked up a tranny at 6,000 miles. I blame modding it with a pcm programmer mainly but also at me putting my foot through the floor a few times on the free way.

If you are towing turn O/D off and you will be fine, also, stock, the tranny is fine. When you start modding and adding power is when the transmission starts to fail.

The absolute WORST thing for our transmissions is sticking your foot to the ground going faster than about 30 miles per hour but with stock power you have no need to worry. I converted my truck back to stock after the burned tranny so I got rid of my superchips and my intake (still have exhaust) and I have done freeway slams tons of times and the tranny has not skipped a beat since so I think you will be fine until you start modding. On dodgetruckworld.com there are TONS of guys who have lost trannys but they are all mainly heavily modded. Don't worry about it too much, you will probably be fine if you are not trying to make your truck a race truck.
So basically you're saying not to pass anyone? WOT is absolutely a valid operating position for the throttle and should not cause damage to any vehicle. The power from an intake and exhaust shouldn't make the difference between a long tranny life and a 6k rebuild interval. Spray it or supercharge it and I can understand transmission issues. Simply driving in a spirited fashion with a few bolt-ons shouldn't spell the end for a transmission.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
nathanp
Captain

im hard on my truck got quite a few mods done to it and always have had problems with it, my superchips powerpaq has helped alot though maybe invest in one if u plan on modding

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

ORIGINAL: John M

ORIGINAL: motorider228

So basically you're saying not to pass anyone? WOT is absolutely a valid operating position for the throttle and should not cause damage to any vehicle. The power from an intake and exhaust shouldn't make the difference between a long tranny life and a 6k rebuild interval. Spray it or supercharge it and I can understand transmission issues. Simply driving in a spirited fashion with a few bolt-ons shouldn't spell the end for a transmission.
That's what I thought... I hope that the tranny's can hold up to the extra 20 HP at the most that a CAI, exhaust and programmer gets you

Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Palm
Professional

I tow a camper trailer (about 5000 pounds as towed) quite a bit and have never had a transmission problem. I cannot say much for the differentials however, having the problems that I have experienced. My truck is in the shop atpresent, for the sixth time for differential problems. I don't have any doubts that some of this is due to crummy repairs, but having heard of other people with the same difficulty, I am not impressed with the Dodge rear ends.

So far, it has been repaired under the drive-train warranty, the last time the 3X36 warranty had just expired and it cost me the $100.00 deductable. This time I don't intend upon paying that, hence the reason that I have a post on the forum asking for people's experience with continous problems.

At least one of the problems when the differential croaked was caused by a dealer that put incorrect lube oil in it and also did notadd the anti-slip additive. Other times it may have been caused by improper adjustment when put back up by the repairing dealer but the bottom line is, in my opinion, the differentials in these trucks are just too finicky and not robust enough for those that tow often.

I love the truck otherwise, but I am really frustrated with the rear end problems. If you tow often, be sure and have the rear end lube changed at the recommended 15,000 mile interval and whatever you do, even if you have to talk to the mechanic that doesthe work, make sure the proper lube oil (75W140, Synthetic with 5 ounces of anti-slip additive) is used when it is done. Better still, do it yourself if possible.

The above applies onlyif your truck has the anti-spin differential. Did I mention that my truck only has a little over 37,000 miles on it?

Quick Reply: Dodge transmissions