3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Installed the Dynomax Ultra flow catback today and I am surprised how mellow it sounds. We shall see once the packing burns off a little.

I am not exactly doing backflips how the tailpipe looks though. Kinda cheesy.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
dvargas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Flowmaster 40 series, w/ no resonators and it comes out the side behind the cab. i love it, very aggressive sounding. just my $.02

Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM
lewpuckett
Professional

still stock so far.....[:@]

hopefully next week flowmaster 44 or Borla

Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM
brandonw

2007 Dodge Pickup Single cab
4.7 ltr
drop in K&N
Flowmaster supper 44 series

I haven't really done anything to my truck but put exhaust on it. I did some research and looked all around the forums and various articles I could find. I went went the Flowmaster super 44 series 1 in 2 out. I couldn't find it ini stores so I ordered it off of Ebay. Just go onto the Flowmaster website and get the model number then search it in Ebay. Guarantee you'll find a good price on it. I didn't put dools on it I just got the muffler put on and turn downs right out the muffler. HOLY ****!!!! My truck sounds like a beast! I have auto start and I love clicking it on when I am about 100ft away and watch everyones head turn. It isn't the way to go if you don't want resonation in the cab though. Maybe it's different with an extended cab but mine is kinda loud inside. Not unbearable but defiantly there. I am going to try and get a recording of the sound sometime this week. I have had them on there since June so I am kinda slacking on the record, but atleast they are broken in. Hit me up for the recording if you want it.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
rhubarb

ORIGINAL: bigjrussell

Anyone try out the Flowmaster 44? Listened to a few sound clips and like what I hear.
super 44 is louder than the super 40. i actually had a super 40 on my truck then pulled it off when i baught the 44 and was in awe of how much louder it was. My friend is going to be taking off his super 40 soon now too get as loud as me i think

Rhubarb

Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
04DodgeRam1500

I have a two chamber flowmaster right now thats pretty loud. I just want it to louder and more aggressive. Would dumping it and taking off the resonators achieve this or should a put true duals on it with out resonators or should I skip all that and just put a cutout on and bypass the muffler? Any suggestions or clips of each would be helpfull thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
v8only

Another newbie here....

2 weeks ago, I bought a 26k mile hemi ram...it's a beautiful blacked out 03 larami ca express model.

Anyhow, I'm a hardcore ford guy, and have been running flowmasters since day one. My 2 experiences with dynomax left me less than satisfied, it just didn't sound ***** to the wall like flowmaster.

To be Frank, I didn't buy a 12mpg 345 horse truck to be mellow. I'm going to drive it hard, and be heard too. For this reason, the flowmasters are the ONLY way to go.

Also, to be frank, I LOVE drone. the drone is the best sound in the world....music to my ears!!! Who couldn't love the sound of a v8 gently purring at 2k rpms??

Tomorrow, I plan on getting a super 40 welded in. Since mine is an 03, I have NO resonators.

HOWEVER, unlike my mustang, my kids ride in my truck and the wife on occasion. For this reason, they may not like the drone.

So here is my question. Has anyone dynomatted the inside of their truck??? I was kinda thinking if the drone was too loud, that I'd just rip out the seats and carpet and dynomat the floorboards. Done deal.

anyone try this yet?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:08 PM
v8only

Well, today I went ahead and had a single in, single out 3" welded into my existing piping. Went for the flowmaster super 40. Paid $125, best deal I could find.

All I have to say is WOW. I'm sure as hellglad I didn't go with magnaflow,...as I've never been jazzed about their sound anyhow. The truck now roars to life, and settles to a gentle purr, with beautiful exhaust melodies burbling out of the tail pipe.

FYI, I've got an 03, so I have NO factory resonators, and this setup is NOT loud. It's noticable, hell yes!!! But loud?? NO. the interiors on these rams are so well sealed from the factory anyhow, that I don't have to raise my voice at ALL to talk to anyone in the cab. I can leave the stereo low, and still enjoy it.

Drone?? On the freeway, the 1800-2100 drone range is a gentle purr. It's seriously not much louder than stock. Just enough to know you've got that hemi, but NOT enough to bug.

IMO, the loudest it gets is cruising in street traffic, maybe 30-40 mph, in 4th overdrive....at that point it does have some 1500-1700 rpm drone that's the loudest of any speed. However, very little time is spent at that speed, and it's not bad.

I'll try to get a sound clip. Anyone who's had super 40's and thinks it's too loud is just freaking weird, or they got the old school 40 series and don't know it, this mufller is perfect!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:41 PM
v8only

here is a video, it's SUPER crappy...it's a cell phone video, and it's way to close, and makes the exhaust sound distorted and poppy, however it gives you a general idea based on the other flowmaster stuff you've heard.

http://thompsontransmission.com/pict...%20exhaust.mov

Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
TRNDRVR

Are we allowed to ask (stupid) questions on this thread?

If so, why I need to do a "cat-back" system on my 06 hemi if my ram already comes with a 3" exhaust?

What are the benefits of a true "cat-back" system as opposed to just replacing the muffler with a Flowmaster or something else?

I thank you in advance,
Dan.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!