3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help asap regarding power windows/locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 AM
JasonH660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap regarding power windows/locks

I have an 04 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab Sport. I was tinting my front windows today, got the driver's side done, went to do the passenger side and when I unplugged the power lock and window switches and forgot to turn the key to the off position, it was still on accessory. I plugged the switch back in and it would roll the window down but not up.Now all thepower locks will go up and not down. My passenger window is also stuck all the way down. Has anyone had this problem before or know what I need to do to fix it?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help asap regarding power windows/locks

Unplug the harness again. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. plug your harness back in the way it should go. Reconnect the negative terminal and see what happens.

I have to ask though, why did you disconnect them while tinting?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 AM
JasonH660

I tried that and it didn't work. Window still won't go up and locks won't go down. I took the door panel off because I used pre-cut tint and it's easier to install it with the door panel off. The switch is good because I just switched it out with the one on the back window and it worked fine on it.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

ok, I read this awhile ago so I had to go and search for it.

Taken from KenHemi on Dodge Talk

Disconnecting the batter will not reset the pcm.

You need to leave the battery connected, remove the pcm fuse then buckle the driver seat belt, put the key in and turn to start and hold it there (it won't start). You will hear a chime and if you hold it a lttle longer you'll hear a 2nd chime.

The first chime is the pcm is reset. The second is the trans control is reset.

Disconnecting the battery will reset some stuff, but not the pcm.

You will have to look into your manaul to find out which fuse is for your PCM. Hope this works. Kinda weird problem that you have though too.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 AM
djr04
All Star

Might want to make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect or lossen the drivers side as well. Some vehicles use the driver's control as the central switch for all the doors.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 AM
JasonH660

I tried resetting the pcm, now the locks do work, but the window still won't go up. It's weird that I can hear the motor working when I press the switch down but I get nothing when pressing it up on both the passenger and driver switches. Could there be anything else that specifically resets the passenger window?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 AM
djr04
All Star

I would say one of the wires is messed up then. The window switch should be a double throw double pole switch, which basically means pushing it up sends the current to the motor one way, and pushing it down reverses the current, causing the motor to travel in the opposite direction. Check all the wires closely, maybe one was pulled or kinked. Or your connector could have had a spark that fried one of the connection points.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 AM
JasonH660

Well, turns out I checked the driver's side and sure enough I didn't have the harness pressed all the way in. Man do I feel dumb, lol. Thanks for the help guys, I'm off to tint my other window now. Thanks again

Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 AM
abarmby
Champion

L and R Twoa little off topic but..................whenever I have reset the PCM, I do the batery off thing and leave the ignition on, with the main headlights on as well, to drain any residual current in the circuits etc.
This has always reset the PCM for me.
It's proven, by the engine idle bouncing around and the engine running a little rough until the PCM finds good run perameters.
I've never heard of the way you just described for resetting the PCM?
Is that for a Hemi?
I have an 03 and will try your method when I next have to do it.
Al.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

ORIGINAL: abarmby

L and R Twoa little off topic but..................whenever I have reset the PCM, I do the batery off thing and leave the ignition on, with the main headlights on as well, to drain any residual current in the circuits etc.
This has always reset the PCM for me.
It's proven, by the engine idle bouncing around and the engine running a little rough until the PCM finds good run perameters.
I've never heard of the way you just described for resetting the PCM?
Is that for a Hemi?
I have an 03 and will try your method when I next have to do it.
Al.
Yeah I did a search on this awhile back as whenever I take my vehicles to the dealer and they mess with the computers or anything electrical, I have always reset my PCM's, just in case. The topic I found was discussed about '04's and one person chimed in about an '06 so I gave it whirl and it worked for me.

Quick Reply: Need help asap regarding power windows/locks