3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI...whats your take

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
BigHorn41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI...whats your take

I know many of you have already answered questions about cold air intakes, but I am wondering if they are worth it. Also has anyone ever heard of true flow intakes? anything good or bad. I am looking to see what kind of mpg gains are out there. If you can, I am curious about the brand you have, gains, and your opinions.
Thanks in advance

Old 06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Default RE: CAI...whats your take

Oh God, I know where this post is going to go. If you do a search, you will probably find a million posts on this subject. However, all of the intakes are probably close to the same quality, performance and change in MPG. What you are going to notice the most is the noise, as it makes the truck louder (and who doesn't like to hear that). So, it comes down to what company name you like and what one looks prettier to you. I have the K&N polished intake, supposed to not perform as good as the black plastic one, but it was shiney, so I bought it.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

...but it was shiney, so I bought it.
Can't Blame a man for being Honest!!

You Don't happen to have a sound clip of that Gibson exhaust do ya?

My personal Take on the CAI is... Most of them suck air right out of the engine compartment, so its not really a "COLD" Air Intake now is it? Does it flow better than stock? Sure, But Your not sucking in that cold air from the outside which is soo desired by the beast.

Even with the "Heat Shields" If you look at em, they may block the heat from coming from the side, but there aint nothing stopping it from coming up and over the top of the heat shield, they arn't sealed!

So My personal choice would be to go with something like the Volant that is a full High Flow air box, that will retain the "Cold Air" yet give you more flow than stock. (However, From what *I've* read, The stock system flow's pretty good)

I don't personally have one yet, so I can't speak if it works as its claimed to. But If your going to suck air from within the engine compartment, then its 1/2 dozen one or the other, because they'll all do about the same thing.

Just my $0.02

-ThaChad

Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

...but it was shiney, so I bought it.
Can't Blame a man for being Honest!!

You Don't happen to have a sound clip of that Gibson exhaust do ya?

My personal Take on the CAI is... Most of them suck air right out of the engine compartment, so its not really a "COLD" Air Intake now is it? Does it flow better than stock? Sure, But Your not sucking in that cold air from the outside which is soo desired by the beast.

Even with the "Heat Shields" If you look at em, they may block the heat from coming from the side, but there aint nothing stopping it from coming up and over the top of the heat shield, they arn't sealed!

So My personal choice would be to go with something like the Volant that is a full High Flow air box, that will retain the "Cold Air" yet give you more flow than stock. (However, From what *I've* read, The stock system flow's pretty good)

I don't personally have one yet, so I can't speak if it works as its claimed to. But If your going to suck air from within the engine compartment, then its 1/2 dozen one or the other, because they'll all do about the same thing.

Just my $0.02

-ThaChad
AEM supplies a rubber gasket that seals against the underside of the hood.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: Sir Hardin Thicke

-ThaChad
Really? That's good to know! I haden't seen that in any of my research.Can you confirm that it actually seales?

-TheChad

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Mojave
Professional

So does K&N

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

-ThaChad
Really? That's good to know! I haden't seen that in any of my research.Can you confirm that it actually seales?

-TheChad
You bet I can. That was one of the things I wanted to make sure it did. I took some of my kids sidewalk chalk and ran it around the gasket and then shut the hood. Lifted it back up and teh chalk transferred to the hood. When installing the AEM, you need to take out the wheel well liner. Before putting it back in, I stuck my head up there (tire was off) with a flashlight and it looked to be sealed pretty well.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Mopartoya

Yeah, so does the K&N "shiney one" . Same one FFMedic and I have. They draw air from a cutout in the sheet metal between the engine compartment and the front quarter panel. Meh, bad discription, but anyway, they do block off the majority of the engine's heat.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airaid has a gasket as well for their kits. Mine has it.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
ThaChad
Professional

Well That is good to know!

When I was researching the CAI's I didn't find anything about a gasket, so that left me thinking "What good is that?".

That still only applies to the CAI's that actually have the heat shields though. If There's no heat shield, than its sucking hot air right off the engine. So I'd definitly stay away from those type.

I have to then question the water tight-ness of the CAI's with the heat shields? Can any of you that have em chime in?

That was my 2nd reason for leaning the Volant route. I'm in IL, so we have snow in the winter, and a good amount of rain, with bad drainage, so driving threw water is something that happens alot.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Quick Reply: CAI...whats your take