3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keep You Truck Looking NEW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keep You Truck Looking NEW!

i disagree that not taking care of your trucks paint makes it last/look better in the long run which was the point of what a few people said. when kenihemi said that he took care of his truck, i agreed and was happy that someone else with common sense chimed in

Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 AM
bountyhunter2006

so after reading all of this is waxing more than once a year bad? because i usally wax about every other month. but i use apressure washer to was it usally every week the new megiuars soap and i use a chaiomey to dry also use one to apply soap. and wax it with a buffer.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

no, waxing more than once a year is not bad. actually, wax will not last that long and if it is wax you use, and you drive your vehicle in all weather conditions, it wouldnt be a bad idea to wax it every month. especially if you wash your vehicle in between. if your car is already waxed, and aweek later (or the next day for that matter) you wash it with soap, you just removed 99% of your wax....even sealants like zaino are usually applied every 6 months (to a daily driven vehicle)if that tells you anything.

there are some hard waxes that advertise they can be used only once a year such as Nu Finish (which i have used and liked, its kind of a back up of a back up of a back up at my housesince i have like 50 dif products)but unless that vehicle is sittin in the garage all year, the wax just wont last that long

if you want long lasting protection, look into a sealant such as tropicare or zaino.
at first you may think these products are very expensive, but they last much longer and in the long run, will last you quite a few applications and depending on how much you waxed, compaired to how many times you apply this sealant, may save you money.

and unlike was, with a sealant you can layer. the more layers, the more protection, and the deeper the shine...you cannot layer wax. if you have a coat of wax, and TRY to apply a 2nd coat, you will only be removing your first coat and replacing it

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
jorswift
Rookie

What are some good inexpensive waxes and pollishes or other products to use on your truck? I used that new liquided wax "ice" and it looked wonderful and took out swirles, but it doesnt last to long. I dont have a garage so my truck is outside at all times. Is there some waxes you can use in the sunlight and on a hot surface? I am always looking for new and better products to make my truck look better.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
MyFirstDodge

Read the Guide to Detailing that I posted in the detailing section on the home page. A bunch of information that has been posted is typical of car specific sites like this. If you guys really wanna learn how to care for your car you need to do a lot of research, a lot of individual product testing, and find out WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. There is a lot of hype or this product and that product, in the end, it comes down to personal preferences and the amount of time you would like to spend. Visit www.detailcity.org and www.autopia.org for more detailing information; trust me, it will be the best couple hours in the internet you have ever spent...and your car will love you for it!

-Shaun

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: MyFirstDodge

Read the Guide to Detailing that I posted in the detailing section on the home page. A bunch of information that has been posted is typical of car specific sites like this. If you guys really wanna learn how to care for your car you need to do a lot of research, a lot of individual product testing, and find out WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. There is a lot of hype or this product and that product, in the end, it comes down to personal preferences and the amount of time you would like to spend. Visit www.detailcity.org and www.autopia.org for more detailing information; trust me, it will be the best couple hours in the internet you have ever spent...and your car will love you for it!

-Shaun

very true

Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
MyFirstDodge

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

no, waxing more than once a year is not bad.

and unlike was, with a sealant you can layer. the more layers, the more protection, and the deeper the shine...you cannot layer wax. if you have a coat of wax, and TRY to apply a 2nd coat, you will only be removing your first coat and replacing it
Waxing needs to be done WHEN IT IS NEEDED. Depending on if you leave your car outside or if it is garaged, enviornmental factors such as acid rain, nearby factories, airports, and rain/snow you will need to wash/clay/wax//seal your car more or less often.

As for layering waxes...

No store bought waxes can be layered because these are CLEANER WAXES, not pure waxes. These will take off whatever protection you have your car and temporarily fill in swirls/scratches with the polishing oils in whatever you are using. These products are meant to be a temporary "all-in-one" fix. Pure waxes and sealants CAN be layered, with a sealant base and a carnuaba wax topper as many times as you'd like.

Anybody feel free to reply to this post or pm me for more information.

-Shaun

Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

I've gotten great results layering a carnuba wax over a synthetic wax. Synthetic will give a super smooth surface and won't yellow. The carnuba top layer will give great depth. This combo lasts a really long time.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: MyFirstDodge

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner

no, waxing more than once a year is not bad.

Waxing needs to be done WHEN IT IS NEEDED. Depending on if you leave your car outside or if it is garaged, enviornmental factors such as acid rain, nearby factories, airports, and rain/snow you will need to wash/clay/wax//seal your car more or less often.

As for layering waxes...

No store bought waxes can be layered because these are CLEANER WAXES, not pure waxes. These will take off whatever protection you have your car and temporarily fill in swirls/scratches with the polishing oils in whatever you are using. These products are meant to be a temporary "all-in-one" fix. Pure waxes and sealants CAN be layered, with a sealant base and a carnuaba wax topper as many times as you'd like.

Anybody feel free to reply to this post or pm me for more information.

-Shaun
99.99999% of the people on here do use a store baught wax, and that is what i was refeering to. but no store baught wax will last a year, that is also what i was trying to convey.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 PM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

another option for swirl marks: RHINO the whole thing! hahaha

Quick Reply: Keep You Truck Looking NEW!