3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed a sub, with my factory sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM
cpukramer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed a sub, with my factory sound system

Two reaaons ... I am worried that it won't look as good because I like the sleakness of the stock head unit. Also I don't live in the nicest neighborhood and I don't need anymore enticement for anyone to break in, lol.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 AM
///Matt
Rookie

The unit I used to wire my amp to the factory speaker signal is very, very easy to use.

You just wire the unit into the signal to the rear speakers (4 wires total), and then plug a set of RCA cables from the unit to the amp. Very simple.

I think this is an excellent first upgrade for the factory base radio. I will be replacing the whole system, but I think it's definitely a very good improvement over stock. I've now got my bass set at 0 on the headunit, so the door speakers don't distort, and are using their wattage to play the highs and some mids more clearly and loudly.

Next upgrade will be the headunit, to probably a touch screen nav unit.

It took me around 2 hours to install everything, from start to finish... And that was without all the right tools, and pausing to drink beers and shoot the breeze with my buds.

This is a very easy install.

If anyone wants to do a setup just like this one, I'm willing to do it for you at your home, for a nominal fee.I'm an ASE certified Master Mechanic.... Say for $50 I'll do exactly what I've got going... price goes up a shade if you have 2 subs... say $70. I live in the LA area, 661 area code to be specific.

Matt

Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 AM
cpukramer
Captain

Matt, thank you very much for the details on the install. Ok so you convinced me and I just ordered two subs, and amp and the box, lol. They should be here in a few days. So my next question is where did you get this unit that allows me to splice in to the rear speakers and convert to RCA cables? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
///Matt
Rookie

I got the unit from SonicElectronix.com ... It's made by PAC. I don't recall the actual name of the unit, but it's basically a line input pad.... It takes the already amplified speaker signal off the speaker wire, and turns it into a quieter input for the amp. If you call the sales dept at SonicElectronix, they will know what you're talking about. It cost me $12, plus you'll pay shipping. (I picked it up at the wharehouse).

Old 07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
cpukramer
Captain

Ok I just ordered it, haha ... lets see how it works!!! I will post info when I get it installed.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
///Matt
Rookie

I don't know how much audio-install experience you've got, but remember: You'll have to "tune" the amp before you should make your final judgement on how everything sounds.

My amp has selectable gain, both left and right, a crossover frequency selector, and also the Rockford "Punch" ****, with basically adds additional gain to the 60hz area of the EQ. At first, I had the gains cranked, the crossover set to lowest frequency's only, and was continually fiddling with the Punch to get the right sound for each type of music I played (rock, hip-hop, alternative, etc).. it was annoying and didn't sound that great.

Then I turned the gains down just a shade, and it made a large difference in the amount of hum and low-mids I was getting in with my low's.right now, It's set up just right. I turned the gains down about 10% from max, and cranked the pucnch to full, and left the crossover at low's only.

It's got the right amount of hum (which is to say very little) and is producing almost only the frequency's I wanted. It hits pretty nice for a single 10", but I will reserve my judgement on that for when I put a real amp/headunit behind it.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM
cpukramer
Captain

Nice ... thanks for the advice ... I can use as much as I can get!! I don't have a ton of audio experience, although I have a decent amount a car electronics experience (remote starters, keyless entries, etc.) so I am assuming this won't be too hard. I will definitly screw with the amp until it sounds good and post my results. Any other advice is always welcome!!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
///Matt
Rookie

Fuses and appropriate wire sizes!!!! lol

We don't want to burn your truck to the ground over a little bass.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

new head unit is less than $200 and well worth it. i wouldnt even not swap out to, if your going to do any sound upgrades.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
cpukramer
Captain

How did you route the power wire through the firewall? Just curious where you found the best/easiest spot to be.

Quick Reply: Installed a sub, with my factory sound system