3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Confessions of a newbie..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
CapeCod4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confessions of a newbie..

First and foremost, you should know i'm a 23 yearold guy with very little off road experience. hell i've never even had a truck before. im used to driving small, fast sports cars. well i got a hair across my @ss about a few weesk ago and decieded it was time for me to own a truck. i spent most of my time driving different types and doing a lot of research to find what i liked. all i knew was it had to be a 4x4. no offense to anyone here, i would just feel like less of man with a truck thats not 4x4, even if she only ever see's the pavement.

So i finally settled on a well taken care of 2004 QCB 1500 Hemi Off-Road edidition. Everything about this truck seemed to scream "you really want this truck" or something of the sort. The one guy who owned her before me did a few things to it, including a K&N cais, dual flowmaster out the back, and all new plugs and wiring, painted bed cover, and it had some brand new all terain 33's on there.

All i want to do now is drive this truck, it so much damn fun. my off roading experience is really limited to driving my fathers truck over the dunes to get to the beach a little bit when i was a kid... and that's about it. so today i decieded to take her on it's maiden voyage(for me atleast) and get her dirty. now i wasn't going all crazy and sinking the truck like some of these videos, but i was certainly tearing up some very muddy trails with some friends. All-in-all, she's no longer black, but a thick dirt/mud color and all i can say is WOW THAT WAS FUN. that Hemi is somthing awesome let me tell ya. i can't wait to get out there again and start doing some mods of my own to the truck.

so anyways, just thought i'd share my experince and introduce myself to everyone.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Confessions of a newbie..

Welcome to the forum and congrats, you will love it. My off roading started with a 1990 toyota 4x4 v-6, then a 06 ram qcsb 4x4 hemi. now a Diesel 2500 and I am done. remember these few simple things and you will make your off road experience more fun. Go buy a strap or two I personally use pro-comps 2x30. get a couple d-shackles. before you go wheelin always have some bottled water and snacks just in case, Momentum will get you through most obsticles. let me know when you decide to start modding your truck for off roadin. another thing you might want to consider. go to home depot or any home improvement store and buy some aresol sylicone spray. get under your rig after a good cleaning and spray the majority of the under carriage. some people use wd40 for this as well, this will prevent build up of mud and a lot of contaminents. I am sure you konw the basics like lowering tire pressure if needed, try t always have two 4x4's with you. pm me anytime and make sure to et plenty of pics. I recently got stuck helping someone out. stupid me did not follow my own rules due to situation.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

by the way, we need pics of your truck

Old 07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

jimmy you started off roading in a truck??? your lucky i had a 4cyl chevette and it was a off road machine let me tell getting hung up on 3 inch rutts but you go fast enuff and the chevette would go through anything oh yes and welcome

Old 07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
CapeCod4x4

thanks for the info! yeah ive got most of the basics down, though i have to say i never thought of spraying the under carriage. that sounds like a damn good idea. here are a few photo's from a few days ago after i picked her up. with any luck some noticable changes will go on in the near future

Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Good looking truck... wecome to the site.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Hellbilly1

jimmy you started off roading in a truck??? your lucky i had a 4cyl chevette and it was a off road machine let me tell getting hung up on 3 inch rutts but you go fast enuff and the chevette would go through anything oh yes and welcome
My first car was a 1985 chevette, used to refer to it on the phone to people that did not know me (primarily the ladies) as a vette, amazing reactions when they saw what type of vette. I grew up in los angeles not too much off roading there. then I got into a mustang phase, still have my 72 mach-1 then trucks and now I am stuck on trucks for life.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

nice truck you got there!!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran

Very nice man, Welcome aboard partner