3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM
chestermeyers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure

I have an 03' Ram Quad Cab with the 4.7L and about 87'000 miles, I was driving home and somehow lost oil presure. I also started experiencing a loud ticking noise like I had no oil in the motor. I replaced the oil filter with a new one and I was able to get pressure for about 3 minutes then the guage dropped to zero. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this is a bad oil pump. I have had other makes of vehicles with well over 100k on them and I have never had an oil pump go out. Has anyone experienced this? My a/c also started cutting out at idle recently. It blows fine while I am driving at speed but ifI am in a parking lot or at a stop light it cuts out. Any Ideas there?

Old 07-15-2007, 06:29 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: No oil pressure

Hmmm... im not sure about the oil thing but with the AC it sounds like maybe the compressor is kicking out. Maybe it gets too hot when just idling and cuts itself out, but when driving the air passing over it is enough to keep it cool. Possibly low on refrigerant? dirty condenser?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go by other vehicles, you got to address this problem.

Zero oil pressure is either a bad sensor, wiring, bad gauge or no oil pressure. It's not something to play with or you can smoke that engine.

I doubt it has anything to do with the air.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chestermeyers

I have an 03' Ram Quad Cab with the 4.7L and about 87'000 miles, I was driving home and somehow lost oil presure. I also started experiencing a loud ticking noise like I had no oil in the motor. I replaced the oil filter with a new one and I was able to get pressure for about 3 minutes then the guage dropped to zero. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this is a bad oil pump. I have had other makes of vehicles with well over 100k on them and I have never had an oil pump go out. Has anyone experienced this? My a/c also started cutting out at idle recently. It blows fine while I am driving at speed but ifI am in a parking lot or at a stop light it cuts out. Any Ideas there?
Bad pump and or sticking pressure relief valve.
A pressure relief valve that is stuck open will give you oil pressure when cold but as soon as the oil stars to warm up the pressure will drop quickly.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
chadmech28
Professional

You should put a manual oil pressure gauge on it to see what pressure you have could be just a bad gauge, but if the motor get noisy you either have a bad pump or a bad crank bearing. hope this helps

Old 07-16-2007, 02:06 PM
deanj287
Captain

quick way to see if you have any oil pressure... remove the oil pressure switch and crank the engine. it will; spray out like crazy... caveman like yes but at least you'll kno that there is oil being pumped around in there.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or pull the oil pressure sensor and screw a guage in. Then you can see where your at for pressure, without the mess. Nothing like pumping an oil pan full of oil out onto the floor.
Then you get to run and get a bad of oil dry while the oil runs all over the place.
You also might try draining the oil to see if there are any metal particles in it. If it has babbitt bits, you know you smoked a crank or rod bearing and the last thing you want to do is start the engine up if that has happened.
It might save your crank.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
trapp40

I have had both problems with my Ram. At about 100,000 I lost oil pressure. It was my fault due to inadaquate oil changes. My problem was a clogged oil pump screen.

I also had the ac problem. It was the ac cooling fan gone bad and quitworking thuscausing the compressor to overheat at idle. It was fine going down the road but the compressor would cut off at idle. New fan fixed the problem

Quick Reply: No oil pressure