3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Castrol
10.87%
Royal Purple
9.78%
Mobil
56.52%
Valvoline
7.61%
Penzoil
7.61%
Quaker State
4.35%
amsoil
3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What oil do you use?

who carrys wix?? and how much is mobil 1?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Just about every place you can go, NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced, PePBoys, ORileys, and even some Wal*marts carry WIX filters. You just have to ask for them by name.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brawler

After finding out that Mobil 1 was no longer full synthetic, i gave German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (auto-zone only) a try. Like it so far but i only got it because i couldnt find a place that sold Royal Purple here in town. Now that i'm moving ( Texas ) i'm sure i will find a place that carries it and may switch to it as soon as i put around 10,000 miles on her. I do run Royal Purple synthetic diff fluid as i found that my local pep boys carrys the stuff now. Figures i find it after the fact. Oh well, like i said, 10,000 miles and in goes the Royal Purple if this stuff ends upnot being as good as all the info i have found on it. I have read a lot of good info on the German Castrol Syntec and i feel it is comparable to Amsoil and Royal Purple and @ $6.00 a qt, i aint crying.
This is from Mobil's website:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...s/Mobil_1.aspx

Where did you hear Mobil 1 was not 100% synthetic? A competitor oil's website?

Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil with a proven history.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Brawler

No not from a competitors web site. I read up on it a bunch and while i did not come across definitive proof it is not full synthetic, i chose to believe the numbers and personal accounts of people who have used it. Mobil 1 ( from what i understand ) use to be a great oil but has since changed their formula. No i am not an expert in the field nor do i claim to know anything about anything having to do with testing oils. I do however have my opinion and that is all it is, my opinion. I read some test results on mobil 1 used in the Vq35 engine and the results were bad ( again IMO ) for a synthetic. The best info i came across regarding group III (not true synthetic)and group IV (true snythics) was on the website linked below. Not pimpin anything and certainly not trying to hijack the thread. Just wanted to post why i use the oil i use. Again, i may have overshot by saying that mobil 1 is not a true sythetic but if you are thinking you are buying a group IV oil then why would you pay more for a group III?

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mobil+1

Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

doin the oil change today with mobil 1 5w-30 and a mopar filter!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 PM
peoples1234
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Brawler

No not from a competitors web site. I read up on it a bunch and while i did not come across definitive proof it is not full synthetic, i chose to believe the numbers and personal accounts of people who have used it. Mobil 1 ( from what i understand ) use to be a great oil but has since changed their formula. No i am not an expert in the field nor do i claim to know anything about anything having to do with testing oils. I do however have my opinion and that is all it is, my opinion. I read some test results on mobil 1 used in the Vq35 engine and the results were bad ( again IMO ) for a synthetic. The best info i came across regarding group III (not true synthetic)and group IV (true snythics) was on the website linked below. Not pimpin anything and certainly not trying to hijack the thread. Just wanted to post why i use the oil i use. Again, i may have overshot by saying that mobil 1 is not a true sythetic but if you are thinking you are buying a group IV oil then why would you pay more for a group III?

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mobil+1
Mobile 1 did change their formula andis no longer considered a group IV oil, but can still be marketedas a full synthetic. Amsoilis a Group IV oil and what I use/will use after break in period.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

brought back this poll bc i seen oil topics multiple times a week!!! if anyone has good research please post it as well!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Did my 1st oil change in the truck a few weeks back (the 3 years of freebies from the dealer is over) and was gonna get Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter. But they had a sale and I just couldn't resist. Valvoline Full Synthetic for $4.97 a quart, buy one get one. So I bought four, got four, netted out under $2.50 a quart forfull synthetic and I have a spare!
Read a review on filters in a tech mag a couple weeks ago, they tested about a dozen and the Mobil 1 and Amsoil came out tied for the best, Purolator (the one I've always used before)then K&Nranked next in line. Interestingly Fram came in dead last! So I got the Mobil 1 filter...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I use Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic, and Mobil 1 filter. I have always used Mobil 1, it has been around for years, and I have all my trust in it!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: go49ers

Jimmy....your signature is disturbing...hehehehehe
I will be sure to change it soon. Month end it will be changed. I will put the more comical one back up.