3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying my first new vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 AM
gtown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first new vehicle

I went to the dealership and found a mega cab 2006 4x4 5.7 Hemi with only 4,000 miles for 22K. But they want to put me in a new 07 sport 5.7 hemiQuad cab2wd for 28K and 7.9% fin. I am new to vehicle purchasing and have been rooked before. I have a few buddies with the 3rd gen ram trucks and I love them. I would like to know what to look for and any advice any of you guys and gals may have for a clueless truck lover.

For one ... what does sport mean? The only difference I could see what that the grill is painted the color of the truck rather than chrome. I am sure there are other questions a need to ask, maybe someone could school me. But I will read up on the forums and see what I learn.

Nice to meet you all

Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker
Default RE: Buying my first new vehicle

That would depend on what kind of interest rate they will give you on the 4x4

Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 AM
gtown

Its high the 4x4 is out of the picture......

Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 AM
prerunner
Captain

The newer the vehicle, the better the financing(the fanance company has a better chance of getting there money back on a new vehicle if u fail to pay). You being a 1st time buyer, they can get u a 1st time buyer finance with a new vehicle.
I do think that 28k is a little steep, compared to some of the prices i've seen advertised latly!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

The price on the 4x2 dont seem bad but I still think I would try to get a 4x4 maybe the dealer will give you a deal on a new one. I would rather have a 4x4 and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 AM
FL Cracker
Rookie

What are you gonna use the truck for? Do you need 4x4? Are you gonna be hauling anything? The Megacab is built on a 2500 chassis and will be much heavier duty than the 2wdquad cab. Insurance and fuel costswill be higher on the 4x4 megacab, but someone else has already taken that new car loss. The megacab has a lot more room in the backfor adult passengers. I have an '06 megacab 4x4and love it, but it may be more truck than you need. One setback to the megacab is that it will not fit in most garages and sticks out of parking spaces.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:53 AM
gtown

I will be towing a boat every now and then not to often. Mainy the truck is to have a truck. being able to move big items in the bed. The only thing I will be towing is a 22 foot boat every now and then. How much more would a 4x4 be

Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7.9 %, is this threw chrysler, or a bank? If not threw chrysler, you would at least be paying over 7% for the mega cab threw a bank, chrysler has better finance rates on new products than 7.9%

Lets compare apples to apples, price out a 07 mega cab 4x4 with the same options as the 06, this will give you a idea on the mark up and depreacation you will will experiance with a new truck.

If your going to keep your truck for a long time, than don't worry abought the depraction, you can never go wrong driving your new truck vers some one else's old truck, but first, you have to figure out how much you want to pay per month times how manny months.

in my mind, the mega cab is the better deal considering its $7000 less, has 4x4 and the mega cab.

And the grills on the rams are plastic, they are not chrome.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Imo, get a truck with 4x4. you may not plan on using it, but there will come a time that you will want it and happy that you have it. 22k for a 06 mega sounds pretty good, if you can get a decent rate and negotiate with them be prepared to walk out of the dealer. My wife is the queen of car buying negotiations, When I traded my hemi in for my diesel she looked the finance manager straight in the eyes and said "Kiss my ***, we are not paying that much". results were great if you are going to spend 28,000.00on a 1500 hemi, why not see if they have a 2wd used ctd for the same of simular price, don't be afraid to shop around. there are many dealers and if you go to another one and play the "another dealer gave it to me at this price for a simular truck" game, they will budge. Dealerships will pull every trick in the book including bringing out finance managers. Waste as much of there time as you can test drive multiple trucks. do not let them run your credit until you found a truck and price that you want. When they ask you what monthly payment you can afford tell them that you are looking for a good priced truck and payment will work itself out. counter offer everything they come at you with atleast three times. make them throw stuff in at no extra costs (little stuff like hats and shirts) go during lunch hours and after test driving a few trucks tell them you are hungry and are going to get a bite to eat then will probably come back. they will feed you. Stand your ground, question everything and you will come out alright.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM
gtown

Great information. maybe I can get a 4x4 for the same price

Quick Reply: Buying my first new vehicle