3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB RADIOS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CB RADIOS!

I have my scanner on the floor (auto trans) of the transmission hump. I run the wires behind the dash by pulling that little plastic cover off where the transmission hump and the center of the dash meet, then everything goes through the firewall to an attenna on a bracket on the fender. The best place though for any of the attennas (scanner, CB, Ham) is off the roof, because there is less metal around and what not... I just think it looks bad.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 AM
FL Cracker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: masonman85

hey you could always look at getting a cobra 75wxst.
This is the only way to go IMO. These are perfect for vehicles that are tight on space. I used to keep one as a spare in my cattle hauling days. I probably would've used it full time if it was big enough to put a Connex board in it and had side band. But for regular CB usage you can't beat this little radio. It also has NOAA weather channels and alerting on it.Unless you have a good SWR meter I'd take it to your local CB shop and have them match your antenna and coax. Also,I'd install a filter to block out all of your vehicles electrical noise.

COBRA 75 WXST

Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

i've got a back rack, so that's where the antenna will go... just gotta figure out the best route to get there!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
eltupac
All Star

Or you can always your cellphone.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
fckwtit

I have an 04 SC. I mounted my CB Radio just to the right and under the steering wheel. I thought about it for a while and finally decided to just do it. It is not in my way of driving at all. It is a cobra. The only thing I cannot see is the volume squelch dial but that is nothing but feeling for it. Not hard to do. I mounted the mich just to the right above the ashtray. I have to spin the mich up to get to the ashtray but no big deal. I am a smoker just dont use it, tends to make the truck stink. As far as the cable goes: You will need to start from the antenna. Mine is behind the cab. I ran it down the tie down holes to the bottom of the ground and dropped it on the ground. Then I fished it through with the e-brake. Continue this until you get to the door hinge. Here you can feed it up the panel. It is a small opening but it holds the cable nicely. Push it up until you get a length. Then you might have to peel back the foam that seperates the hinges from the inner fender of the engine compartment. Make sure to put this back when done. There is a small rubber plug leading into the truck. You want to pull this off and cut an X in the center. You will have to force the threads through but you should end up with a snug fit. Next you need to pull the kick panel off. There is a whole just to the left of the e-brake. Hopefully you have small hands for this next part. You must put the cable in the hole from the outside and push it towards you and down. I found that once in a ways just keep rotating the cable until you feel it on your right hand. Then pull. Zip tie it to some brackets under the steering wheel and you are home free. I know it is alot but I have a pretty clean install. If you want pics let me know. I will try and get some if they are needed. Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

I've seen alot of people mount them inside the center console.

Sending the antenna wire down through the floor, is an option.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
RedHemi05
Rookie

Wow a few good idea's. Cobra, I am not a fan of. I had one in my M915A2 when I was stationed in Germany. I used it during my first tour to Bosnia. Then when we got back I ditched and with another brand that I used for my second tour in Bosnia. That radio kicked but. Once I got out and became a civilian truck driver, I went Uniden and Love it. It's tweaked once and has the roger beep and weather bands.
I would love to get the storage shelf for inside the truck where the sun visors are and mount on there. I'm going to keep reading for idea's.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mounting it inside the lower part of the center console was a good idea. And mount an external speaker.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 AM
FL Cracker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RedHemi05

Wow a few good idea's. Cobra, I am not a fan of. I had one in my M915A2 when I was stationed in Germany. I used it during my first tour to Bosnia. Then when we got back I ditched and with another brand that I used for my second tour in Bosnia. That radio kicked but. Once I got out and became a civilian truck driver, I went Uniden and Love it. It's tweaked once and has the roger beep and weather bands.
I would love to get the storage shelf for inside the truck where the sun visors are and mount on there. I'm going to keep reading for idea's.
Cobra and Uniden are the same radio. They're made in the same factory with the same circuitry. Only the faceplates are different. You can take a radio that works great in one truck and put it in a different truck and it will not be the same. A different antenna and coax will also completely alter the dynamics of any radio. Whenever you put a new radio in any vehicle you should take it to a CB shop and have it matched to that particular vehicle.

Cobra 25 LTD = Uniden PC 66
Cobra 29 LTD = Uniden PC 76
Cobra 148 GTL = Uniden Grant XL
M915A2 = Freightliner

Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
RedHemi05
Rookie

I'm not an idiot you know!!

Quick Reply: CB RADIOS!